Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

David Ruether

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
252a413e-61c3-4cb9-9206-9bd9415e1942...oglegroups.com:
> On Jun 11, 1:27*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > How many lenses do you carry with you at any one time? *My
> > usual maximum is the lens on the camera plus one other.

> My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.
>
> If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
> 70-200/2.8.
> Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
> range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
> the
> Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).
>
> Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

Yikes!
For trips back in the days of slide film (ahem! , I would
fit a Nikon FA body with folding steadying handle and 16mm
f3.5 fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 85mm f2 compact MF
lenses plus about 25 rolls of film in a small case that fit
under a plane seat... That was last done in 2006, after which
I used a Sony 707 with an excellent permanently attached zoom
lens. Now I use a video camera that produces exceedingly sharp
video images...
--DR

David Dyer-Bennet

On Jun 13, 2:28*pm, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
>
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On Jun 11, 1:27 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
> > (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > How many lenses do you carry with you at any one time? My
> > > usual maximum is the lens on the camera plus one other.

> > My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.

> > If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
> > 70-200/2.8.
> > Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
> > range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
> > the
> > Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).

> > Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

> Yikes!
> For trips back in the days of slide film (ahem! , I would
> fit a Nikon FA body with folding steadying handle and 16mm
> f3.5 fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 85mm f2 compact MF
> lenses plus about 25 rolls of film in a small case that fit
> under a plane seat... That was last done in 2006, after which
> I used a Sony 707 with an excellent permanently attached zoom
> lens. Now I use a video camera that produces exceedingly sharp
> video images...

It's too much sometimes, certainly. I'm getting older. On the other
hand, that's why I need AF so much more now, too.

I used to travel with at least two film bodies that took the same
lenses (an FM and an FM2, or two OM-4Ts, or an FM2 and an N90).
Amount of film varied very much by the length of the trip. When we
spent 6 weeks in England in 1987, I took quite a bit of film. Bricks
of
K25, various E-6 and B&W films that I'd bulk-loaded, and so forth,
all neatly packed in a cooler (helped them survive in car trunks,
too). A busy day in an interesting medieval city, or at an SF
convention , could burn 10 rolls of film fairly easily.

I've only gotten worse since digital, in terms of shooting heavily.
I keep trying things, keep working the scene, try unusual things
I never would have wasted money or time on in film -- now I'm
wasting time on them, as likely as not, still; but sometimes
something works.