Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System Mechanic

System Mechanic

A Petro

After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
Anyone else have this problem ?

James D Andrews

A Petro snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
> After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
> much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
> Anyone else have this problem ?

You kind of left out what System Mechanic was, but with minimal
guessing and searching, I see it is a System Optimization program.

As with most Optimizers, the program settings directly affect your
computer's performance. A tweak in the wrong direction can slow your
system down.

Supposedly with your program you can restore your computer to the way
it was under the SafetyNet tab using an Undo function.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
-Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

Paul

A Petro wrote:
> After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
> much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
> Anyone else have this problem ?

The very first question would be, why did you need that program ?

The computer is actually pretty good at organizing itself.

*******

If you have a specific technical issue, it should be addressed as such,
rather than "applying a bandaid". If you use bandaid programs, your
computer could end up more screwed up than before, and then you'll
need to reinstall the OS.

For example, if you told me your hard drive seemed slow to load
programs, I'd point you at this. This is a "measurement" program
and not a bandaid. The first step to any problem, is gathering evidence.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

You can upload a screenshot of the benchmark results to a site like this.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/698...rk500gbst3.png

This is an older drive, and looks healthy. The slope to the
curve, is caused by the diameter of the magnetic material, as the
head moves from an outer to an inner track. The older drives
had slightly slower transfer performance

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/649...rkst380011.png

When you see a "flat line" in one of those graphs, it either means
the hard drive is in PIO mode, the drive could be on a USB bus,
or the drive type could be SSD (which doesn't rotate).

Another measurement tool is Task Manager. It shows things
using CPU cycles. If a program "goes crazy", then you may be
able to tell which program is causing the problem. You can
reach Task Manager by using control-alt-delete, or by right
clicking the task bar.

You can get a separate program to display that info as well, such
as Process Explorer. And you can take a screenshot of what you see,
and post a link to it later, to get help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

*******

I would never load System Mechanic. I would never use a
Registry Cleaner. If I was that desperate for a high
performing system, I would reinstall the OS and all programs
again. A clean start, can make a big difference.

When someone complains their computer is slow, the first
question we ask is "what aspect of the computer operation is
slow". We need the details, to make any progress. Sometimes,
the problem can be purely hardware related, like a hard drive
that is going bad, in which case, no amount of bandaids would
make any difference.

Paul

Kele

I've used System Mechanic. I never have it start with Windows or run
anything automatically, however. Only my antivirus prog gets to run all the
time... a necessary evil.

-----------
"A Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
> much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
> Anyone else have this problem ? >

Mikethekiwi

I've used System Mechanic as well, I didn't like it and won't use it now.

Like Kele, I also have ruthlessly trimmed and configured my software and have the minimum number of programs start with Windows.

Mikethekiwi

"Kele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4df45565$0$90954$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...
> I've used System Mechanic. I never have it start with Windows or run anything automatically, however. Only my antivirus prog
> gets to run all the time... a necessary evil.

> "A Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
>> Anyone else have this problem ? >

System Mechanic install Tony Computer Support 9 01-18-2007 06:24 PM
System Mechanic 6 Tab Computer Support 3 08-14-2006 10:11 PM
System Mechanic, problems? JF Computer Support 3 06-09-2006 03:11 PM
system mechanic: *x@y* Computer Support 10 11-21-2005 01:18 AM
System Mechanic or System Mechanic Pro? Adriano Computer Information 0 09-21-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments