Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: How to get Visual Studio to use quotes for html tag attributes

Re: How to get Visual Studio to use quotes for html tag attributes

Max

I think it's time for me to let this conversation go. You just aren't
experiencing the bugs I and a lot of others are experiencing. Even the fix
you gave me (Tools/Options/Text Editor) does not work. VS will just not lay
off well formed HTML, and if you read the VS developers' notes and comments
you would see them talking about how the next version of VS will NOT touch
the code. It should be the biggest fix for VS to date. I'm tempted to go
grab the "alpha" version now.

P.S. If User Controls and Page Inheritance are REALLY good for templates
then why are they ADDING the template namespace in the next version of NET?

-Max

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Max,
>
> For all the grief you've given me about FP, you should lay off the DW

stuff.
> IMHO, FP is leaps and bounds better than DW (we'll save that discussion

for
> another place & time), but you keep talking about templates.
>
> You CAN create templates in VS.NET in one of several ways:
>
> Using VS.NET Ent. Architect Edition
> A User Control
> Page Inheritance
>
> It seems to me that you are a bit "stuck" on DW. Time to let it go.

Scott M.

Hi Max,

I guess will all the info. in this thread, my point is still not clear.

.....You are saying that you didn't get the quotes around your attribute
values despite the Tools...Options setting? Please understand that turning
this feature on will NOT retroactively change the HTML you already have. It
will only affect NEW HTML that you create (or it creates) going forward.
This was never a bug issue for VS.NET. It has worked since day 1. If you
are not getting the quotes, I would suggest that you have a bad installation
of VS.NET.

If you want to have existing HTML changed, and you haven't turned off the
automatic HTML formatting when the page is switched into/out of the HTML
designer in Tools...Options, a simple way to get all the quotes for your
attributes (or apply any HTML formatting option you have turned on/off) is
to select all the HTML in the page and cut it, then just paste it right
back. Because VS.NET will treat the pasted HTML as "new" HTML it will apply
to the current HTML formatting rules (specified in Tools...Options) to what
was pasted.

As for the other "bugs", I've yet to hear someone tell me about a specific,
documented bug regarding THIS issue. I'm talking about "bugs", not
complaints about features that aren't there. A bug is when the software
does something is was not designed to do or vice versa. This has been my
point all along, there were never bugs with the HTML formatting features,
only misunderstanding/no understanding of how to use them.

As for templates, you can get the effect of them today. The new namespace
(and classes) will just formalize the process and make it easier, but it
doesn't mean you can't get the effect today.

HTH

-Scott

news:5bSac.382448$(E-Mail Removed) om...