Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good zoom-lens for Nikon?

Good zoom-lens for Nikon?

David J Taylor

"Bob Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
[]
> Could be that the less concerned someone is with
> lugging the burden of gear, the more able to spot
> photo opportunities within the range of their ZLR

Been there and done that, Bob, and found the ZLR too limiting for the
circumstances in which I take photos. ZLRs are good in good light, and
the resolution was usually good enough for me. Very pleased now with a
DSLR and the 18-200mm (27-300mm equivalent) lens.

Cheers,
David

sid

Wally wrote:

> I'm contemplating buying the Canon 7D with the 15-85mm lens.

Dunno about the camera as I use a 50D but the less is an excellent choice.

--
sid
RLU 300284

John Turco

Bruce wrote:

> > "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> > Why do you not want to discuss what effect higher ISO might have on the
> > choice of zoom lenses, especially as you appear to have good insider
> > knowledge of what cameras Nikon may be about to introduce? Instead you
> > resort to personal criticism and thereby lose credibility.

> The issue I raised was that, long after it was clear that the OP owned
> an FX body, you were off on a tangent discussing an upgrade from DX to
> FX. When I called you out on that, you moved the goal posts once more
> and started discussing something else! You might think that is
> entertaining, but it is merely tiresome. You are clearly incapable of
> sticking to the topic at hand, so any further discussion is pointless.
> I put you in my kill file for this very reason some time ago. Having
> reviewed my kill file decisions over the last few days, as I do
> periodically, in your case it was definitely the right call.
>
> Are you by any chance related to Mxsmanic (Anthony Atkielski)?
>
> Ctrl-K (again!)

Do you mean, in the same way that "Bruce" and "Tony Polson" are
related?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Savageduck wrote:

> > On 2011-06-12 19:21:06 -0700, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >
> >> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:38:42 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> >> I could certainly state that I am of a similar vintage to some of those
> >> vehicles, and actually saw some of those Coopers, BRMs, Lotuses, The
> >> DBR4, the Maserati 4CLT-50 , and Ferrari 246 running in their prime.
> >> I can't say the same for the Alfa Tipo A, or that 1930's Maserati I
> >> can't quite place or date.

> > The Alfa is a 1935 P3B, one of the few fitted with Dubonnet
> > (knee-action) independent front suspension. Its an ex-factory
> > GP car with a 3.8 litre engine.

> Ah! Part of the original Scuderia Ferrari. The front end of that Tipo
> B P3 (1932-35) was quite different to the 1932 Tipo A, I should have
> noticed since there was a $3.5Mil sample at Laguna Seca last year.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC4634w2.jpg >
>
> > I'm gratified you recognised the DBR4. Most people don't even
> > know it existed.

> I have been a track urchin all my life.

<edited>

Personally, I'm far from a "track urchin," but...this is a
pair of excerpts, from a flatbed scan I'd made, in May of
2000:

"Here's fact No. 102 for the Chamber of Commerce booster
booklet: In addition to leading in pig lead and butter
production, Omaha is the is the home of a race car
'production line.'"

"Tycoons of Omaha's race car industry are Louis (foreground)
and Joe Turco, who assemble midget and big cars in the
garage of their home at 504 pierce street."

<edited>

"The brothers have been building racers here since 1928,
after spending two years as race car builders for the
Dreyer company in Indianapolis. Louis specializes in
midget cars, has built, assembled or worked on some of
the fastest on the midwest circuit. Joe handles the
big car racers the brothers now own, returned last week
from Detroit and vicinity."

It was a small article (with a B&W photo), in the "Omaha
World-Herald" newspaper, which had been cut out. No date
is visible; it must have been printed, during the late
1930's/early 1940's era.

That all happened quite a bit, before my time. They were
my father (Joe) and uncle (Louis), respectively -- and
"tycoons" was a bit of an exaggeration, naturally. Both
were inducted (posthumously) into the Nebraska Racing
Hall Of Fame, in October 2004.

[Coincidentally, Tony Cooper's hometown is Indianapolis,
and you'd mentioned "Coopers" race cars, above.]

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>