Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

t@t@.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><t@t@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
>> the
>> Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
>> it
>> anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

>It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.
>
>Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
>you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
>and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
>scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since they're on
every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft was on
to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad
documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other reason(s)
too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like Office
that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out of
being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately screwed
them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old version
of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed there
too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and download a
program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time just
trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they screwed
us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as easily
as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and can
carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't have
that program you'll have it right there?

Mike Easter

t@t@. wrote:

> Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
> as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
> enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
> computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

AbiWord will open them and is free and portable.

--
Mike Easter

Mac Cool

:

> Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
> as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
> enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
> computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

Have you tried Google Docs? Not sure if it will open the old Wordpad files
but it stores your documents online and you can access or edit them from
any computer.

Shaun

"Mike Easter" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Shaun wrote:

> Paul
>
> You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
> computer belongs.
>
> Shaun

Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
a usenet group does not work properly here.

WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

--
Mike Easter

Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
except the very anal types.

I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
Thanks for trying.

later,

Shaun

To the OP - Buy a new ****ing computer with an antivirus program and get
with the times. Don't waste out time with Windows 98!

Patrick

Shaun wrote:
> "Mike Easter" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shaun wrote:
>
>> Paul
>>
>> You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
>> computer belongs.
>>
>> Shaun

> Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post
> to a usenet group does not work properly here.
>
> WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
> usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
> which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
> Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.
>
> If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet,
> you should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.
>
> If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
> Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of
> trouble.
> Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should
> be WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

Pardon, did you say something !

Paul

Shaun wrote:

> > "Mike Easter" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
> > a usenet group does not work properly here.
> >
> > WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
> > usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
> > which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
> > Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.
> >
> > If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
> > should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.
> >
> > If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
> > Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.
> >
> > Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
> > WM or something else. WLM is not an option.
> >

> Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
> except the very anal types.
>
> I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
> Thanks for trying.
>
> later,
>
> Shaun

The details do matter. Why ? By posting your reply before a
..sig mark, your reply cannot be replied to. It doesn't get quoted
properly. To make this message, I had to:

1) Copy and Paste Shaun's reply from below the .sig from the original post.
2) Move all the quote marks over one, manually, with the editor.
3) Hope that I didn't mess up quoting by doing this.

I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.
It's a good, basic newsreader. The only real trick with Thunderbird, is
ticking the "always request authentication" box, for usage with news servers
that have a username and password, as then, Thunderbird will prompt you
the first time for the username and password. Via caching, it won't pester
you every time after that.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

You can also set the "port number", according to whether you want the
stream to be encrypted to the server or not.

If you need further help, a search of the web will have an illustrated
guide for setup. I've found such guides, for setting up Thunderbird,
on some university IT sites for example. Even the news server main web
site, sometimes has primers on it, to help clients set up their
favorite reader program. The first time you use Thunderbird, it may be
a bit daunting, I don't deny that.

I like using separate tools for separate functions. One tool for mail.
Another tool for USENET. By doing so, there is never a danger I'll
forward a "letter from mom" to alt.flame This kind of thing does
happen occasionally, when people do both USENET and mail, within the
same tool.

Good luck,
Paul

VanguardLH

Patrick wrote:

> Pardon, did you say something !

Yeah, the noob thinks anything of his post placed AFTER the signature
delimiter line was seen by others (who typically configure their
newsreaders to strip out the fluff, like signatures).