Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Satellite Broadband

Reply
Thread Tools

Satellite Broadband

 
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On 9/06/2011 6:58 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message<isnhsi$d7n$(E-Mail Removed)>
> victor wrote:
>
>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>
> Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29
>
> Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
> http://groups.google.com/group/nz.co...art=56910&sa=N
>
>

Nah, instead of being a pedantic dick just tell us whether NZ is 15
years behind the rest of the world, or 18 years or 13 years or whatever
woger is blathering about
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On 9/06/2011 8:37 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
> victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
>>>>
>>>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>>>>
>>>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>>>> speed and price"
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
>>> world.
>>>

>>
>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
>> Most of the world has ADSL
>>

>
> Guess you must be a 12 year old then. I seem to remember it back in
> 1995 and earlier..


Well that's near enough for me.
If NZ was 15 years behind you would be on Win 95 14.4 dialup with
netscape making pages on geocities with HotDog
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On 9/06/2011 9:24 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:

>
> My earliest usenet post that shows up in google groups dates Sept 1991,
> in comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Almost 20 years ... don't think I started
> lurking in nz.comp until quite a few years later.
>
> I remember only too well how Mosaic came out and I was thinking to myself
> what a load of rubbish that idea was - downloading 100kb pictures while on a
> toll call with a 2400baud modem ... the cost would've been prohibitive.
>
> As it were, I just chucked out a whole lot of old financial paperwork last week
> and found a 1992 account from Iconz for my shell account that I had with them
> for a little while (and cancelled because it, too, was way too expensive to
> maintain for me with the price of tolls at that time and my income being halved
> by Rogernomics -- uucp was a much more cost effective way of doing things).
>
> -P.


There's nothing more certain to start a ****ing match.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:46:52 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message<isnhsi$d7n$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor wrote:
>>
>>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>>
>> Iíve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.

>
>Good for you.
>So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world



This Swedish chap thinks so and I agree, he was imported here to help
NZ..



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:51:31 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 9/06/2011 6:58 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message<isnhsi$d7n$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> victor wrote:
>>
>>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>>
>> Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29
>>
>> Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/nz.co...art=56910&sa=N
>>
>>

>Nah, instead of being a pedantic dick just tell us whether NZ is 15
>years behind the rest of the world, or 18 years or 13 years or whatever
>woger is blathering about




No not me I am just the Reporter..

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:56:08 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 9/06/2011 8:37 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
>> victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
>>>>>
>>>>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>>>>>
>>>>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>>>>> speed and price"
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
>>>> world.
>>>>
>>>
>>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
>>> Most of the world has ADSL
>>>

>>
>> Guess you must be a 12 year old then. I seem to remember it back in
>> 1995 and earlier..

>
>Well that's near enough for me.
>If NZ was 15 years behind you would be on Win 95 14.4 dialup with
>netscape making pages on geocities with HotDog




Well just look at NZ Rail, I don't need to say more..


The heath system here the child mortality rate, it goes on and on..

Mickey mouse governments, Corrupt Local Councils that I have facts on.

 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On 9/06/2011 6:13 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:46:52 +1200, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> In message<isnhsi$d7n$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor wrote:
>>>
>>>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
>>>
>>> Iíve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.

>>
>> Good for you.
>> So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world

>
>
> This Swedish chap thinks so and I agree, he was imported here to help
> NZ..
>
>

You will have to provide better proof than that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>>>
>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
>>>
>>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>>>
>>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>>> speed and price"

>>
>>
>>
>> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
>> world.
>>

>
>That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
>Most of the world has ADSL
>

I am refering to New Zealand in General nothing at all do do with
Internet..

>> So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?
>>

>
>A satellite over Europe is going to be **** all use to him.
>Rural properties in Wairarapa use a wireless ISP
>http://www.wizbiz.co.nz/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:16:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <isnhsi$d7n$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor wrote:
>
>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>
>Iíve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.



Mine was when Actrix started some 1989..

First public ISP here..

Then Jon Clarke opened one in Aulk a bit later..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2011
On 7/06/2011 9:19 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
..
>
> In fact, that's something that ****es me off about Farmside, they're the one
> isp in the country who quotes gst exclusive prices for everything, trying to
> make themselves look cheaper than they are - that alone stopped me from
> seriously looking at them as a potential isp recently ...


When your main market is business, then you typically quote GST ex, and
with a name like farmside, I expect they are targetting farms, so its
correct.

If it was "country homestead-side" then perhaps your complaint would be
valid. I think call plus are all ex GST. I know that the quotes from the
business parts of other ISPs are as I was looking at some recently.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Computer Support 0 12-25-2007 06:15 PM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Digital Photography 0 12-25-2007 06:07 PM
Satellite Broadband? Scott Dunaway Computer Information 4 10-23-2004 09:40 AM
Re: Europe Online Broadband via Satellite? Enrico Guado Computer Information 0 09-27-2003 03:50 PM
Re: Europe Online Broadband via Satellite? Ross Computer Information 0 08-10-2003 09:47 AM



Advertisments