Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Software Bloat--NOT!

Software Bloat--NOT!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

When was the last time you saw removal of huge amounts of code as a feature
of a new software release?

<http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-06-03-libreoffice-3-4-0.html>

Quote: “That is clearly still too big, but smaller than a MS Office service
pack.”

Lawrence D'Oublespeak

In message <ishp0h$qlk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> When was the last time you saw removal of huge amounts of code as a feature
> of a new software release?
>
> <http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-06-03-libreoffice-3-4-0.html>

Lawrence translated:

Read the fine print. End users will find the download is larger,
not smaller.

If you want an English language version of Libre Office; you
now have to download a version loaded up with 50 languages.

OpenOffice.org : 143 MB download
Libre Office : 197 MB download - 55 MB larger

AD.

On Jun 7, 9:51*pm, Lawrence D'Oublespeak <l...@crok-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> * * Read the fine print. *End users will find the download is larger,
> * * not smaller.

Really? All the 3.4.0 downloads looked smaller than the 3.3.2
downloads to me, although it was pretty marginal on some platforms.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Where did OpenOffice.org come into it? Neither the linked blog or the
post you replied to mentioned it.

--
Cheers
Anton

Lawrence D'Oublespeak

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
AD. wrote:

> On Jun 7, 9:51 pm, Lawrence D'Oublespeak <l...@crok-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> Read the fine print. End users will find the download is larger,
>> not smaller.

> Really? All the 3.4.0 downloads looked smaller than the 3.3.2
> downloads to me, although it was pretty marginal on some platforms.
>
> Where did OpenOffice.org come into it? Neither the linked blog or the
> post you replied to mentioned it.

LibreOffice is a very recent fork of OpenOffice.org (28 Sept 2010). You
may be unaware of this.

In the less-than-9-months since LibreOffice branched off from
Openoffice.org, the LibreOffice end-user download size has put on a lot
of weight.

OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Win_x86 147297 KB
Libreoffice 3.3.2 Win_x86 219066 KB 149% of OOo size
Libreoffice 3.4.0 Win_x86 192566 KB 131% of OOo size

LibreOffice lost a little of its extra weight between 3.3.2 and 3.4.0,
but it is still carrying more extra weight than it has lost. It is
clear in the linked blog that their primary measure of size is the
mirror server storage size, not the end-user download size.

AD.

On Jun 10, 10:23*pm, Lawrence D'Oublespeak <l...@crok-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> LibreOffice is a very recent fork of OpenOffice.org (28 Sept 2010). *You
> may be unaware of this.

I am very aware of it - it still makes no difference though. The posts
were comparing the latest LibreOffice release to the previous one.
There are usually much better opportunities for making Lawrence look
silly.

--
Cheers
Anton