Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Goodbye To The Vodafone/Ihug Newsserver

Goodbye To The Vodafone/Ihug Newsserver

Rhino

Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.

According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
Forum web pages!!!

It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.

I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.

Cheers, Rhino

dave

On 06/06/11 00:13, Rhino wrote:
> Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
>
> According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
> Forum web pages!!!
>
> It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
> newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.
>
> I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
> zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.
>
> Cheers, Rhino

Shhhh ...
They seem to have forgotten they said the 4th
Dave D

Aidan Gauland

Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
>
> According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
> Forum web pages!!!
>
> It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
> newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.

Speaking of which, are there any New Zealand Usenet servers for those of
us whose ISPs don't provide Usenet access? I was able to find a few
public Usenet servers (ended up going with <http://www.aioe.org/>), but
none in New Zealand.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 00:13:38 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Rhino wrote:

> It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
> newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.
>
> I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
> zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.

Supernews may well have over 110,000 newsgroups, but there are not
over 110,000 newsgroups bursting with life on Supernews.

Looking just at nz.* groups, Supernews has around 43 nz.* newsgroups [1].
Of the 43

26 are dead
5 are wastelands of spam and effectively dead
7 are barely limping along with a couple of posts a year
5 are actually active.

_____________
[1] FOOTNOTE:
Some pedant may jump in and say there are not 43 non-bogus groups
in the nz.* hierarchy. That might be correct, but Rhino's figure
of 110,000 includes bogus groups.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Frank Williams

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 08:49:10 +1200, Aidan Gauland
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
>>
>> According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
>> Forum web pages!!!
>>
>> It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
>> newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.

>Speaking of which, are there any New Zealand Usenet servers for those of
>us whose ISPs don't provide Usenet access? I was able to find a few
>public Usenet servers (ended up going with <http://www.aioe.org/>), but
>none in New Zealand.
>
>Regards,
>Aidan Gauland

There are no free one but Actrix does have a feed.

external-september is the one most used here.

Goodbye "Goodbye Ruby" Robert Schaaf Ruby 7 04-18-2009 09:37 PM
Saving newsserver settings? Kenny Computer Support 1 09-29-2005 04:43 PM
newsserver nehal Java 3 04-14-2005 07:58 AM
Thunderbird: Where to enter Password? (newsserver) MaximmixaM Firefox 2 02-22-2005 05:04 PM
newsserver voor home bij grabit Randy Meisters Computer Support 1 01-07-2005 04:04 PM

Advertisments