Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

Squiggle

On 7/06/2011 12:48 a.m., Squiggle threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Squiggle wrote:

>>> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

>> Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
>>
>> 1814 Ralink corp.
>> 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
>> 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
>> 0781 RT2860
>> 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
>> 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
>> 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
>> (etc)
>>
>> Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
>> running?
>>

> Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
> appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
> After much ****ing about it got to the point where it detected the
> network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
> disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
> away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
> lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
> useful as tits on a bull.
>
> Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
> tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

PS, Don't bother wasting time trying to find an answer, the netbook is
now XP ony, and if i need Linux for anything i'll just virtualbox it.

--
The nz.general stupidest statement of 2011 competition leading candidate:
The USA is no more democratic than is the Peoples Democratic Republic of

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <isiibt$bf4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
>
>> What kernel are you running?

> Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04.

uname -r will tell you, if not some “system info” GUI display.

> It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
> didn't function in any usable manner.

There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
hardware, like the “iw” (or maybe “iwlist”) command. That would help to
narrow down where the problem is arising.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <isiisa$bf4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> ... the netbook is now XP ony ...

Good luck sticking with that.

Dave Doe

In article <isiibt$bf4$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Squiggle
says...

> On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
> > In message
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Squiggle wrote:

> >> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

> > Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
> >
> > 1814 Ralink corp.
> > 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
> > 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
> > 0781 RT2860
> > 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
> > 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
> > 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
> > (etc)
> >
> > Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
> > running?
> >

> Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
> appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
> After much ****ing about it got to the point where it detected the
> network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
> disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
> away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
> lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
> useful as tits on a bull.
>
> Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
> tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

Many reviews on the 11.04 release indicate it's a very poor release.

My experience - I updated to it and it left me with an unbootable
machine. Not having the experience to deal with grub problems, I ended
up installing a new distro - see what it's like sorta thing - and
installed Linux Mint. It's Ubuntu or Debian based, depending on what you
decide to download and install. I went with the 'default' distro
(Ubunutu) based) and put the XFCE desktop on afterwards.

Recently, I have noted on their forums that the new Mint update (based
on Ubuntu 11.04) has also been very poorly received - so I won't be
updating to that.

Linux Mint is really nice if you are coming from Windows. Regardless, I
find the Gnome and KDE desktops to be very poor, particularly
performance wise.

Linux is a good server OS for many server based functions. I think it
has a long long way to go before it makes a good desktop PC. It's still
in nerd land and will be for some time. One only has to do an update,
or run many of its limited applications to find stupid esoteric
messages that an average desktop user both won't understand and doesn't
want to see.

I use my Linux box to mount up Windows HDD's' for data recovery and
disinfection and the like. The other day I ran up Avast for Linux and
noted in the error message that (other than the fact it doesn't even run
"out of the box") "An error occured in avast! engine: Invalid argument".
Other than it's yet another esoteric message that would horrify your
grandmother, they can't even fukn spell!

--
Duncan.

Squiggle

On Jun 7, 11:57*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <isiibt$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>
> > On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> > the intarwebs:

> >> What kernel are you running?

> > Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04.

> uname -r will tell you, if not some system info GUI display.

As I said, i gave up and blew it away, too much time wasted on it
already, and the temporary need for linux to write code in an obscure
and frustrating language on is gone.

> > It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
> > didn't function in any usable manner.

> There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
> hardware, like the iw (or maybe iwlist) command. That would help to
> narrow down where the problem is arising.

Crappy linux kernel drivers and the loading/conflicts thereoff. I'll
leave tracking that down to people who are paid to care, or actually
enjoy doing that crap.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Squiggle wrote:

> On Jun 7, 11:57 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <isiibt$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>>
>>> It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
>>> didn't function in any usable manner.

>> There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
>> hardware, like the “iw” (or maybe “iwlist”) command. That would help to
>> narrow down where the problem is arising.

> Crappy linux kernel drivers and the loading/conflicts thereoff.

Linux kernel drivers by definition do not conflict. They’re part of the
kernel source tree, remember, so they’re maintained as part of common
updates.