Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

Reply
Thread Tools

I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011
<http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>

No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011
On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
the intarwebs:
> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
>
> No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.


If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
go by, be glad about it. Much of the hardware didn't function
correctly, wireless & touchpad being the most critical. After wasting a
good 4 or five hours trying to get the wireless functioning correctly I
gave up and went back to 10.04LTS, which at least enabled me to connect
to some wireless networks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011
In message <isfq4f$pah$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
>
>> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
>>
>> No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

>
> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
> go by ...


Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011
On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
the intarwebs:
> In message <isfq4f$pah$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
>> the intarwebs:
>>
>>> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
>>>
>>> No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

>>
>> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
>> go by ...

>
> Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.


That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
all the way to 10.04.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011
In message <isgp70$uhp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
>
>> In message <isfq4f$pah$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>>
>>> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
>>> go by ...

>>
>> Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

>
> That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
> all the way to 10.04.


What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2011
On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
the intarwebs:
> In message <isgp70$uhp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
>> the intarwebs:
>>
>>> In message <isfq4f$pah$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>>>
>>>> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
>>>> go by ...
>>>
>>> Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

>>
>> That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
>> all the way to 10.04.

>
> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?


Hardware support, primarily wireless. The touchpad etc I could
probably have sorted out once I internet access, but without being able
to access the network it was kind of pointless.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2011
In message <ish7mm$kft$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> the intarwebs:
>
>> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

>
> Hardware support, primarily wireless.


Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
chipsets should be built into the kernel.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2011
On Jun 6, 1:34*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <ish7mm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>
> > On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
> > the intarwebs:

>
> >> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

>
> > Hardware support, primarily wireless.

>
> Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
> chipsets should be built into the kernel.


RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2011
In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Squiggle wrote:

> On Jun 6, 1:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message <ish7mm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>>
>> > On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
>> > the intarwebs:

>>
>> >> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

>>
>>> Hardware support, primarily wireless.

>>
>> Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
>> chipsets should be built into the kernel.

>
> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.


Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:

1814 Ralink corp.
...
0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
0781 RT2860
3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
(etc)

Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
running?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2011
On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
the intarwebs:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Squiggle wrote:
>
>> On Jun 6, 1:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> In message <ish7mm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
>>>> the intarwebs:
>>>
>>>>> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?
>>>
>>>> Hardware support, primarily wireless.
>>>
>>> Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
>>> chipsets should be built into the kernel.

>>
>> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

>
> Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
>
> 1814 Ralink corp.
> ...
> 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
> 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
> 0781 RT2860
> 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
> 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
> 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
> (etc)
>
> Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
> running?
>


Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
After much ****ing about it got to the point where it detected the
network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
useful as tits on a bull.

Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desktop can see Laptop, but Laptop can't see Desktop! Plomaris Wireless Networking 3 02-17-2006 01:41 PM
computer freezing-can't see replies-please see inside Fourdogs Computer Support 1 12-06-2004 05:12 AM
Dell Inprion 1100 see's network with air card and regular network card but does not see the card help! Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC Computer Support 1 10-01-2004 09:23 PM
Can you see why I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundError here? I can't see it :< Flip Java 3 02-09-2004 10:13 PM
INTERESTING PROBLEM -- CD doesn not see burned disks, but does see others md Computer Support 8 09-03-2003 09:35 AM



Advertisments