Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Excel File Handling (from Jaydeep)

Re: Excel File Handling (from Jaydeep)

Adhik Kadam

Yes, I will try this today and let you the result.

Thankx
With warm regards
Jaydeep
Solversa Technologies

"Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Perhaps something like :
>
> <object classid="location of an excel file"></object>
>
> This way you'll have an Excel file embeded on the page and the Excel

menus.
> You can add a button above the object tag. It's likely you could then

access
> Excel through the object tag. For saving, I don't really see something
> convenient. A Java or .NET applet that would post the file ?
>
> Patrice
>

> "Adhik Kadam" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thankx Patric,
> >
> > Yes, I have already debeted on this issues with client.
> > But his final demond is about editing excel in browser.
> >
> > It should look like you have open excel as an active-x control in

browser
> > with Update button at bottom.
> >
> > I am helpless/speechless here.
> >
> > Thankx again for reply....
> >
> > With warm regards
> > Jaydeep
> > Solversa Technologies
> >
> > "Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > With proper security in place, a file I leave on my desktop shouldn't

be
> > > visible from others. Don't they have already a high security policy in

> > place
> > > (password length, expiration and so on ?)
> > >
> > > Perhaps just an Excel macro that will close the current file, will

> upload
> > > the file and will delete the local file ?
> > > For an Intranet I believe that Excel is even able to open a file from

an
> > URL
> > > and to save it to the same URL (but its likely you'll be able to find

> the
> > > temporary file somewhere). You could also password protect the Excel

> files
> > > or download them to a network protected location such as a home

> directory
> > > for the user or even impersonate a user to restrict the available
> > > locations...
> > >
> > > That said the user will still be able to save the file at some other
> > > location (such as a floppy disk) and so on... It looks like more a

> general
> > > policy issue rather than a technical solution...
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > Patrice
> > >
> > > "Adhik Kadam" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > version
> > > active-x

> Upload

> sever
> > as

> > > --

is

> > control
> > > on

avoid

> > add
> > > automation

allows

with
> > them

quite

> that

> > already

> > file.

> and
> > > without

Adhik Kadam

Hi,

I am able to open Excel Object in Browser using below code.

<OBJECT classid="clsid:0002E510-0000-0000-C000-000000000046" VIEWASTEXT >

But Anyhow I am not able to open .xls file inside this ActiveX control which
is on server.

Do u have any idea about how can I open already created .xls file in this
activx control for editing to user.
And Also how can I get the value of this activex control i.e. updated .xls
file on server when user changes some data in same and click on Submit.

With warm regards
Jaydeep

"Adhik Kadam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I will try this today and let you the result.
>
> Thankx
> With warm regards
> Jaydeep
> Solversa Technologies
>
> "Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Perhaps something like :
> >
> > <object classid="location of an excel file"></object>
> >
> > This way you'll have an Excel file embeded on the page and the Excel

> menus.
> > You can add a button above the object tag. It's likely you could then

> access
> > Excel through the object tag. For saving, I don't really see something
> > convenient. A Java or .NET applet that would post the file ?
> >
> > Patrice
> >

> > "Adhik Kadam" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thankx Patric,
> > >
> > > Yes, I have already debeted on this issues with client.
> > > But his final demond is about editing excel in browser.
> > >
> > > It should look like you have open excel as an active-x control in

> browser
> > > with Update button at bottom.
> > >
> > > I am helpless/speechless here.
> > >
> > > Thankx again for reply....
> > >
> > > With warm regards
> > > Jaydeep
> > > Solversa Technologies
> > >
> > > "Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

shouldn't
> be

in
> > > place

> > upload

from
> an
> > > URL

find
> > the

> > files

> > directory

> > general

forget

new

> > Upload

> > sever
> > > as

> is
> > > control

> avoid

> > > add

> allows

> with
> > > them

> quite

> > that

> > > already

the
> > > file.

changes
> > and

i.e

Patrice

Ok, the first idea would be to open the Excel file from an HTTP location. If
the user has also write access, Excel should (at least recent versions)
should be able to save back the file to this URL.

With the OBJECT tag solution, instead of the clsid use the location of the
file (ither local or HTTP) : <object classid="c:\MyExcelFile.xls"></object>

You'll be able then to save the file using a button and delete the local
file.

For the first option try for example :

http://www.microsoftfrontpage.com/co.../SavetoWeb.htm
(of course the user will still be able to save at some local location)