Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking For A Linux Mentor

Looking For A Linux Mentor

Msgr Scooter

I'm looking for a mentor to help me with installing Linux and email, browser and
news client etc, on a spare machine.
Just the occasional brain picking questions from me by email, no home visits or
phone calls.
I've just ordered Fedora 15 with Gnome from Copyleft, this is on live CD's.
Whatever.
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

Gordon

On 2011-06-04, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
> I'm looking for a mentor to help me with installing Linux and email, browser and
> news client etc, on a spare machine.
> Just the occasional brain picking questions from me by email, no home visits or
> phone calls.
> I've just ordered Fedora 15 with Gnome from Copyleft, this is on live CD's.
> Whatever.

Hope you like Gnome 3. Browser works out of the box. Thunderbird is a
question of filling in the same bits you already have filled in on your
existing mail client.

News client. Pan, likewise if you wish to use that.

Finally boot off the live CD and have a play, then install

John Little

On Jun 5, 12:00*am, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zw...@fshccqg.123> wrote:
> I'm looking for a mentor to help me with installing Linux and email, browser and
> news client etc, on a spare machine....

> I've just ordered Fedora 15 with Gnome from Copyleft, this is on live CD's.

While I have no experience with FedoraForum.org, the forum for your
distro would be the first place to go. If you have a problem,
especially a newbie one, chances are someone else has had it and has
asked for help in that obvious place. Some distro forums are very
welcoming communities.

Regards, John

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 5, 12:00=A0am, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zw...@fshccqg.123> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a mentor to help me with installing Linux and email, brow=

>ser and
>> news client etc, on a spare machine....
>> I've just ordered Fedora 15 with Gnome from Copyleft, this is on live CD'=

>s.
>While I have no experience with FedoraForum.org, the forum for your
>distro would be the first place to go. If you have a problem,
>especially a newbie one, chances are someone else has had it and has
>asked for help in that obvious place. Some distro forums are very
>welcoming communities.

Be warned, however, that a number of the linux news groups seem to have
a number of posters that assume ignorance = MS shill. While there is
often useful help available from them, be prepared to don flame proof
overalls before using.

[MENTOR] Looking for FX mentorship Robert Dober Ruby 1 03-10-2007 04:06 PM
looking for a mentor Thats Me XML 3 12-21-2005 12:30 AM
Looking for a Python mentor LenS Python 6 10-14-2005 08:11 PM
Mentor 11MB 4 port wireless router Nils Wireless Networking 1 07-23-2004 11:50 AM
Newbie Question: Compiling VHDL in Mentor Graphics jk VHDL 1 01-04-2004 03:44 AM

Advertisments