Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Extending a "copper" phone line;!..

Extending a "copper" phone line;!..

Dave Saville

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:17:37 UTC, "R. Mark Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do phone wires cross roads - yes I can see one from where I am typing. It's
> a private road, but the principle is the same - I suppose you could
> encounter some regulatory problems if you crossed a public road, but I
> guessed the buildings were inside a works or similar.

AFAIK crossing a public road has to be done by BT or similar. Years
ago we had a site across the road and it was within the distance spec
for co-ax (IBM 3270's) but we had to use a damn great network box ->
modem -> BT and back.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Owain

On Jun 5, 9:21*pm, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
> Cat5e will go about 100m if you have decent cables etc., however a typical
> PABX (e.g. Panasonic KX-TDAnn) can go nearly 400m.

A decent PBX should go a lot longer than that.

Even a Plan 107/107 would go 6 miles on an external extension, and
that was loop disconnect dialling through to the exchange.

Owain

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, R. Mark Clayton
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus

>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:hDpLeNI0d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, R. Mark Clayton
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>>
>>>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Umm......

>>>Cat5e will go about 100m if you have decent cables etc.,

>> Refer to the line marked above;!...

>Now let me see 100m = ~110 yards, so distance is OK.
>
>Other side of the road - depending on the span you might need to use a "drop
>wire" essentially the conductors are copper, but there is some steel for
>strength.
>
>Do phone wires cross roads - yes I can see one from where I am typing. It's
>a private road, but the principle is the same - I suppose you could
>encounter some regulatory problems if you crossed a public road, but I
>guessed the buildings were inside a works or similar.

This is a public road and a quite busy one at that and stringing a wire
across it -could- be done but they'd have kittens at the thought.
Anyways they now have a forward and VoIP answer and there're off my
back...

cheers...

--
Tony Sayer

Owain

On Jun 9, 7:40*pm, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
> > Cat5e will go about 100m if you have decent cables etc., however a typical
> > PABX (e.g. Panasonic KX-TDAnn) can go nearly 400m.

> :A decent PBX should go a lot longer than that.
> That is what is says in the manual.

Panasonics have their appeal as a small office key system but they are
not what I would call a decent PABX.

> : Even a Plan 107/107 would go 6 miles on an external extension, and
> that was loop disconnect dialling through to the exchange.
> That would have been analog?

analogue voice with digital signalling

Owain

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>tony sayer laid this down on his screen :
>>> Heres a bit of an odd one. An outfit we're involved with a small charity
>>> needs to extend their phone line across to the other side of a road
>>> some 100 yards in all. We have got some cheap secure microwave link
>>> units that have a 10/100 type ethernet at either end.
>>>
>>> Yes I know they could go VoIP but there are many and several reasons why
>>> they want to keep the existing phone line.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if that can be done with an ATA and thence to ethernet and
>>> then to another ATA if that can be done or else would they need some
>>> other gubbins in line with that to act as an exchange of sorts they need
>>> to be able to use that line to make and receive calls on..
>>>
>>> The radio link can be considered a a long CAT 5 cable in effect..
>>>
>>> Anyone any ideas?..
>>>
>>> TIA...

>>This should give you an idea:
>>
>>http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...1x_spa1001.pdf
>>
>>bit outdated..
>>

> Thanks looks like that might do what's needed!..

I am using pretty much this to redirect a phone line about 70 miles
with a pair of back-to-back SPA-3000's. (Today, you'd use SPA-3102's.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Graham.

"R. Mark Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Owain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jun 9, 7:40 pm, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
>> > Cat5e will go about 100m if you have decent cables etc., however a typical
>> > PABX (e.g. Panasonic KX-TDAnn) can go nearly 400m.

>> :A decent PBX should go a lot longer than that.
>> That is what is says in the manual.

> Panasonics have their appeal as a small office key system but they are
> not what I would call a decent PABX.
>
>> : Even a Plan 107/107 would go 6 miles on an external extension, and
>> that was loop disconnect dialling through to the exchange.
>> That would have been analog?

> analogue voice with digital signalling
>
> Owain
>
> Loop disconnect is digital - well I suppose so :-}

Whoosh!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%