Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple vs Android

Apple vs Android

victor

> In message<irscm2$toe$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor wrote:
>
>> The next groundbreaking development is already enabled in Android and
>> not yet available on iOS.
>> Any idea ?

> Look at history to get some clues.

I asked you.

victor

On 29/05/2011 6:00 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-05-28, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
>>> the best user experience and be known for it.

>> Let us not forget about Marketing. Propoganda in feel good clothing.

> an opinion which I am sure you believe. The truth is some what different.

Why not admit it ?
Apple are good at marketing and they have great products to sell

victor

> In message<irscm2$toe$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor wrote:
>
>> The next groundbreaking development is already enabled in Android and
>> not yet available on iOS.
>> Any idea ?

> Look at history to get some clues.
>
> Look at the netbook, for example: as a new product category, it came as a
> complete surprise to both Intel and Microsoft. It was like a breath of fresh
> air, until between the two of them they managed to bring restrictions to
> bear to stop the category becoming too innovative, until eventually it
> stagnated and is now in decline.
>
> With the ARM-based devices, nobody is in a position to do this. There is no
> Intel ordering “you can’t use this chip in that form factor or with that
> configuration”; no Microsoft decreeing “you can’t make that enhancement to
> our software”; it is very much a free-for-all. Google does not “control”
> Android; the only thing it really controls is the Android Market, and even
> that is very much an optional part of the Android experience—the competition
> is seeing to that.

Even though the software is open-source, device manufacturers can not
use Google's Android trademark unless Google certifies that the device
complies with their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Devices
must also meet this definition to be eligible to license Google's
closed-source applications, including the Android Market.
The hardware manufacturers don't seem to see Google as an adversary.

David Empson

geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
> > In article <irt000$479$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I asked you.

> > Yes lets look
> > Sinclair Z88

> ZX80 and ZX81 that was ....

No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/198 battery powered portable
computer with a built-in display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88

The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
could they be regarded as "portable".

--
David Empson

victor

On 30/05/2011 9:59 a.m., geoff wrote:
> victor wrote:
>
>> I highly recommend you read "In the Plex" by Steven Levy
>> I'm a big Google and Android fan, but I don't see any reason to bag
>> Apple, they're a great pacemaker for Android.

> If Microsoft's business model galls Linix followers, surely Apple's is ten
> times worse ?!!!
>
> geoff

I don't think the people who buy Android powered phones are anti
Microsoft, they may have even upgraded from Microsoft powered phones.

Msgr Scooter

On , , Mon, 30 May 2011 12:14:32 +1200, Re: Apple vs Android,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

>geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> whoisthis wrote:

>> > Yes lets look
>> > Sinclair Z88

>> ZX80 and ZX81 that was ....

>No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/198 battery powered portable
>computer with a built-in display.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88
>
>The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
>could they be regarded as "portable".

From memory my ZX81 didn't run off the mains, it had a power adapter like a wall
wart.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

victor

On 30/05/2011 6:02 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
> In article<irv0nj$a8e$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 29/05/2011 9:00 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

>>> No, I would reverse that, they have great products and they are good at
>>> marketing.

>> ****ed if I can see the difference
>> Please explain ?
>>

> For a start the great products come FIRST.

No its quite possible to be skilled in marketing and then apply that
skill to selling a product.

victor

On 30/05/2011 8:29 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
> In article<irvjuf$5fh$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30/05/2011 6:02 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

>>> For a start the great products come FIRST.

>> No its quite possible to be skilled in marketing and then apply that
>> skill to selling a product.

> But that is NOT what Apple does.
> Most of the hype Apple gets comes from elsewhere with all the "iPod
> killers", "iPhone killers", "iPad killers"...... all free marketing for
> Apple as everyone has already accepted the Apple products are the best.

bullshit

In their own words

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/corporate.html#marketing

"Apple is known not only for its extraordinary products, but also for
its outstanding marketing and advertising. Our world-class Marketing
team comprises some of the smartest, most dedicated people on the
planet. From graphic design to events to public relations, they ensure
that all of our messaging lives up to the Apple standard of excellence."

If you can find a cite from them that supports your absurd assertion,
post it.

David Empson

Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:

> On , , Mon, 30 May 2011 12:14:32 +1200, Re: Apple vs Android,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> >geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> ZX80 and ZX81 that was ....

> >No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/198 battery powered portable
> >computer with a built-in display.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88
> >
> >The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
> >could they be regarded as "portable".

> From memory my ZX81 didn't run off the mains, it had a power adapter like
> a wall wart.

Agreed, but that's not relevant.

Even if you argue that the ZX81 itself could be operated from a battery
pack with the right connector, it wouldn't have been practical in 1981
to operate a TV that way for very long, and the resulting system would
certainly not be "ultraportable" as this subthread was talking about.

If you got a miniature TV and put the whole shebang into some kind of
case (with batteries), you would have a large luggable item, not
something resembling later devices like the Psion, Newton or Palm.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Msgr Scooter

On , , Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:19 +1200, Re: Apple vs Android,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

>Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
>
>> On , , Mon, 30 May 2011 12:14:32 +1200, Re: Apple vs Android,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

>> >No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/198 battery powered portable
>> >computer with a built-in display.
>> >
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88
>> >
>> >The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
>> >could they be regarded as "portable".

>> From memory my ZX81 didn't run off the mains, it had a power adapter like
>> a wall wart.

>Agreed, but that's not relevant.

I obviously read it differently, but I agree with your points.
I was thinking of just the ZX81 rather than the ZX81 and the TV required.