Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Older TV, old and new DVD player

Older TV, old and new DVD player

Robert Chao

I have a Trinitron TV from 2002 and I had a DVD player also from
2002. I switched to a new DVD player, a Sony "upscaling" player,
SR500H which was $60.

The DVD image was slightly worse. Especially, when I was watching the
end titles of a Star Wars DVD. It just looked unclear or flickering,
compared to the old DVD player.

I thought that if you use the component video outputs to the TV, there
would be no difference between the old and new player. (It's not a
bluray player.)

Target has an even smaller and cheaper Sony player - I'm pretty sure
it's not upscaling, so maybe that would be better with the old TV?