Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Everything today is an effort in cost-cutting

Everything today is an effort in cost-cutting

RichA

Even a camera strap!! Compare a Nikon strap from five years ago to
one today. It's thicker, softer, has tighter weaving. What next??
Would people really DIE if they simply left some thing alone and
(gasp!) made them pay $0.50 more??

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Even a camera strap!! Compare a Nikon strap from five years ago to

Today you're bitching about cost cutting. Yesterday you were bitching
about high prices. Tomorrow you'll be bitching about the use of
plastic.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal

RichA

On May 28, 3:00*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Even a camera strap!! *Compare a Nikon strap from five years ago to

> Today you're bitching about cost cutting. *Yesterday you were bitching
> about high prices. *Tomorrow you'll be bitching about the use of
> plastic.

No, I've always disliked the use of plastic. But as for high prices
and cost-cutting, they have nothing to do with each other, if you
think about it. A solidly-made camera body (Pentax K5) produced for a
fair price isn't the same as $2000 for a prime lens that could cost
$1000.00, with NO cuts to material quality. When companies cut to the
bone however, they are pandering to cheap bastards who will fight
tooth and nail to save $20 on a $1000 purchase. Losers. The kind who
will mount a $2000 camera on a $50 tripod, or use a $15 filter on a
$1000 lens or who will use a $10 non-speed rated SD card in a DSLR.

PeterN

On 5/28/2011 4:34 AM, RichA wrote:
> On May 28, 3:00 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Even a camera strap!! Compare a Nikon strap from five years ago to

>> Today you're bitching about cost cutting. Yesterday you were bitching
>> about high prices. Tomorrow you'll be bitching about the use of
>> plastic.
>>

> No, I've always disliked the use of plastic. But as for high prices
> and cost-cutting, they have nothing to do with each other, if you
> think about it. A solidly-made camera body (Pentax K5) produced for a
> fair price isn't the same as $2000 for a prime lens that could cost
> $1000.00, with NO cuts to material quality. When companies cut to the
> bone however, they are pandering to cheap bastards who will fight
> tooth and nail to save $20 on a $1000 purchase. Losers. The kind who
> will mount a $2000 camera on a $50 tripod, or use a $15 filter on a
> $1000 lens or who will use a $10 non-speed rated SD card in a DSLR.

AWQUITYERBULLSHITANDCRYING

WTF are you ranting about.
What are you qualifications for drawing your conclusions.
What is the supportable factual basis for your conclusions.

Do you even begin to understand cost accounting. If so, please explain
your calculations. Does Pentax give you access to this inside information.

--
Peter

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On May 28, 3:00*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Even a camera strap!! *Compare a Nikon strap from five years ago to

>> Today you're bitching about cost cutting. *Yesterday you were bitching
>> about high prices. *Tomorrow you'll be bitching about the use of
>> plastic.

>No, I've always disliked the use of plastic.

And you've always disliked paying for more expensive materials.

> But as for high prices
>and cost-cutting, they have nothing to do with each other

You are an idiot.

> A solidly-made camera body (Pentax K5) produced for a
>fair price

"Fair price" from you has always meant "much cheaper than what it
costs to make". At heart you're a whiny communist.

On 5/28/2011 11:01 PM, Rich wrote:
> PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4de0f54e$0$12458$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

>>> No, I've always disliked the use of plastic. But as for high prices
>>> and cost-cutting, they have nothing to do with each other, if you
>>> think about it. A solidly-made camera body (Pentax K5) produced for
>>> a fair price isn't the same as $2000 for a prime lens that could cost
>>> $1000.00, with NO cuts to material quality. When companies cut to
>>> the bone however, they are pandering to cheap bastards who will fight
>>> tooth and nail to save $20 on a $1000 purchase. Losers. The kind
>>> who will mount a $2000 camera on a $50 tripod, or use a $15 filter on
>>> a $1000 lens or who will use a $10 non-speed rated SD card in a DSLR.

>> AWQUITYERBULLSHITANDCRYING
>>
>> WTF are you ranting about.

> If you have to ask, why ask?

Sigh!
It was a rhetorical way of saying "you are spewing nonsense and buiishit."

--
Peter

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4de15aff$0$2127
>$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>bitching
>>>
>>>No, I've always disliked the use of plastic.

>> And you've always disliked paying for more expensive materials.

>It isn't the cost of the material (magnesium, aluminum) that causes the
>higher prices, it's the machining. Dimwit.

Machining magnesium and aluminum is more expensive than molding
plastics, dumbass. It's still the material that causes the higher
costs that you whine about.

>>> But as for high prices
>>>and cost-cutting, they have nothing to do with each other

>> You are an idiot.

>Brilliant.

Thanks.

On May 29, 6:24*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> Rich *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4de2b3f6$0$2168

> >> Machining magnesium and aluminum is more expensive than molding
> >> plastics, dumbass. *It's still the material that causes the higher
> >> costs that you whine about.

> >You are a little slow of the mark, aren't you?

> And still way smarter than you.

That would be, "far smarter."

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On May 29, 6:24*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> Rich *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4de2b3f6$0$2168

>> >You are a little slow of the mark, aren't you?

>> And still way smarter than you.

>That would be, "far smarter."

No, control freak, it wouldn't be.

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4de15aff$0$2127
>>>$(E-Mail Removed):

>>>bitching

>>>It isn't the cost of the material (magnesium, aluminum) that causes the
>>>higher prices, it's the machining. Dimwit.

>>Machining magnesium and aluminum is more expensive than molding
>>plastics, dumbass. It's still the material that causes the higher
>>costs that you whine about.

>Have you thought of the cost of machining the molds?

One mold produces thousands of copies of a plastic part
with no additional machining.

(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal