Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs won't play; weird menu behavior

DVDs won't play; weird menu behavior

Robert Chao

I just rented 3 DVDs of the TV show Dexter from Blockbuster. When
using these, if I pressed stop twice, and pressed Menu, nothing would
happen; however, when I pressed Top Menu, it would go to the menu.
I've never seen that happen before. Also, if I pressed Play and then
quickly pressed menu, it would go to the menu.

Also, in some cases, I selected an episode and it displayed the
description of that ep. When I tried to play the ep, the disc acted
as if I'd pressed Stop twice.

This is probably because the discs were scratched; however, I've
played dozens of scratched discs before and never had exactly the same
problems. Plus, why would the three discs have the same problems?
(They were discs 1-2 of Season 1 and disc 1 of Season 2.) And yes, I
cleaned them.

I did try other discs and they were fine. Also, I had these problems
on two different players. They are an old and new Sony player, bottom
of the line. A movie rented from the same place also worked okay.

Have you seen anything like this before - what would cause it?

Usually, if a disk is scratched, it will suddenly jump from one place
to another - it doesn't affect menus.

Dano

"Robert Chao" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

===================================

Dex was just messin' with you.

Robert Chao

On May 27, 9:56*am, Rob Jensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> While I'd normally say that it's a problem with the discs themselves,
> the fact that it doesn't work in two different players from the same
> company suggests the possibility that it's a problem with Sony's
> firmware/software. *Try the discs in a non-Sony player and a non-Sony
> computer DVD drive. *If the disc works, it's Sony, if it doesn't work,
> it's the discs.
>
> * -- Rob

I understand, but I've played so many discs in this DVD player - I had
it for nine years!

If it has to do with copy protection, would it act this way??

Remysun

On May 27, 1:46*pm, Robert Chao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I understand, but I've played so many discs in this DVD player - I had
> it for nine years!
>
> If it has to do with copy protection, would it act this way??

With a copied disc being inferior in terms of durability, has anyone
heard anything about pirating, where the pirated copy is switched with
a legal copy?

Remysun

On May 29, 3:58*am, Charlie+ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:35:53 -0500, Rob Jensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote as
> underneath my scribble :
>
> Rob, *Sony were caught putting hidden software from their audio CDs
> illicitly on to any computers who played those CDs in order to enhance their
> copy protections - when caught and publicised, Sony were forced to issue a
> special software removal tool for the reversal of what they had done - *that
> shows a Sony corporate attitude to their customers *that no time can correct
> - in my view!

Kind of reminds me of a stand-up joke I heard where one day,
everyone's stuck in rush hour traffic, can't get out of their car
doors, and the Japanese and Germans walk down the street saying,
"Well, that was an easy one."