Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need a good telephoto but...

Need a good telephoto but...

Walter

Nikon fit.

Not sure whether to go for the 300mm f/4 prime of the 70-200mm f/2.8 ?
I'd be using both with a teleconverter so.. opinions ? I guess the
70-200mm would be more versatile but I really want to shoot sports and
wildlife and so maybe I could do with the range of the 300mm? But then
in the UK how many shots are unobtainable without fast glass (bad
light)? But then it's only one stop.. but then the f/2.8 has VR...
argh.. can't decide. HELP! They're both a lot of wonga (for me).

Martin Brown

On 26/05/2011 11:16, Walter wrote:
> Nikon fit.
>
> Not sure whether to go for the 300mm f/4 prime of the 70-200mm f/2.8 ?
> I'd be using both with a teleconverter so.. opinions ?

What is the longest focal length you are already familiar with using?

You really need a tripod or some other mechanism for holding the camera
steady for lenses longer than 300mm. I take it a lens of the required
target focal length and speed is out of your price range?

The zoom gives you more flexibility for framing wildlife photos.

> I guess the
> 70-200mm would be more versatile but I really want to shoot sports and
> wildlife and so maybe I could do with the range of the 300mm? But then
> in the UK how many shots are unobtainable without fast glass (bad
> light)? But then it's only one stop.. but then the f/2.8 has VR...
> argh.. can't decide. HELP! They're both a lot of wonga (for me).

Your choice. If the sport you want to shoot is cricket in mid summer or
football in the depths of winter makes a lot of difference.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Walter

On 26/05/2011 11:30, Martin Brown wrote:
> What is the longest focal length you are already familiar with
> using?

I own a Tamron 70-300mm. Which I'm quite happy with on a bright day.
But without any image stabilisation technology, shooting hand held on a
not-so-great day has so far not yielded great results. Took a cracker
of a shot of a Robin the other week but had to use a slower shutter
speed than I'd have liked and it's not as crisp as it could've been.
With a better lens (or better day) that would've probably been the best
pic I've taken. At that point I decided I'd invest in a better lens but
I'm not sure the 70-300mm Nikon VR equivalent is a whole deal better?

> You really need a tripod or some other mechanism for holding the
> camera steady for lenses longer than 300mm.

I have a pan and tilt Tripod that I gifted myself for Xmas. Am thinking
of getting a monopod though.

> I take it a lens of the required target focal length and speed is
> out of your price range?

Ideally I'd like a 400mm but they're mega expensive. To be honest a
grand is far more than I thought I'd even consider spending but I've
been spoilt with the speed of the cheap 35mm Nikon prime. I blame my
mate that loaned it to me.

> Your choice. If the sport you want to shoot is cricket in mid summer
> or football in the depths of winter makes a lot of difference.

Funny you should mention Cricket since it's one of the things I'll
be using it for. I had a chat with some photographers when I went to
watch a match last month. They were all using 400mm. I was using my
mate's Canon 600D and a 250mm Zoom and the photos, though good, just
needed too much cropping. Another 100mms would've been ideal.

Walter

I know it's bad etiquette to follow-up on my own post so I hope you
forgive me this one time that I do it

.... just wanted to add that although I have a 70-300mm zoom, I tend to
always use it around the 250mm-300mm end.

Whisky-dave

On May 26, 11:44*am, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>*Another 100mms would've been ideal.

That's what they all say luv
Well they do to me

RichA

On May 26, 6:16*am, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nikon fit.
>
> Not sure whether to go for the 300mm f/4 prime of the 70-200mm f/2.8 ?
> I'd be using both with a teleconverter so.. opinions ? *I guess the
> 70-200mm would be more versatile but I really want to shoot sports and
> wildlife and so maybe I could do with the range of the 300mm? But then
> in the UK how many shots are unobtainable without fast glass (bad
> light)? But then it's only one stop.. but then the f/2.8 has VR...
> argh.. can't decide. *HELP! *They're both a lot of wonga (for me)..

How is it shots are unobtainable now, except with fast glass (f2.
whereas 3-4 years ago when cameras had 1-2 more stops of noise, the
shots could be obtained at f2.8? Now, people should be able to get
the same shots (maybe even more easily owing to increased DOF) at f4-
f5.6 as they did with f2.8 3-4 years ago.

me

On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:16:09 +0100, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nikon fit.
>
>Not sure whether to go for the 300mm f/4 prime of the 70-200mm f/2.8 ?
>I'd be using both with a teleconverter so.. opinions ? I guess the
>70-200mm would be more versatile but I really want to shoot sports and
>wildlife and so maybe I could do with the range of the 300mm? But then
>in the UK how many shots are unobtainable without fast glass (bad
>light)? But then it's only one stop.. but then the f/2.8 has VR...
>argh.. can't decide. HELP! They're both a lot of wonga (for me).

Let's start at the beginning, what body?

me

On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:30:14 +0100, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>You really need a tripod or some other mechanism for holding the camera
>steady for lenses longer than 300mm.

With all due respect, baloney!

Shot last Sat all held, 200-400mm f/4 + TC-14 on a D300.
http://edwardgruf.com/2011-05-21_james_wormley_am/
Ok there is a handful of P&S shots intermingled.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, me
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >You really need a tripod or some other mechanism for holding the camera
> >steady for lenses longer than 300mm.

> With all due respect, baloney!

baloney right back.

> Shot last Sat all held, 200-400mm f/4 + TC-14 on a D300.
> http://edwardgruf.com/2011-05-21_james_wormley_am/
> Ok there is a handful of P&S shots intermingled.

the nikon 200-400mm lens is a stabilized lens and the exif data for
that shot confirms that you were using stabilization for that shot.

in other words, he was correct and your photo proves it.

wrote:

>Nikon fit.
>
>Not sure whether to go for the 300mm f/4 prime of the 70-200mm f/2.8 ?
>I'd be using both with a teleconverter so.. opinions ? I guess the
>70-200mm would be more versatile but I really want to shoot sports and
>wildlife and so maybe I could do with the range of the 300mm? But then
>in the UK how many shots are unobtainable without fast glass (bad
>light)? But then it's only one stop.. but then the f/2.8 has VR...
>argh.. can't decide. HELP! They're both a lot of wonga (for me).

It would help a bit more if you explicitly said what TC with what lens
on what body.

Given you have a 70-300, you're talking about a 1.7 or 2x TC on the
70-200 f/2.8, right? I've sot the original 70-200 f/2.8 VR with the
original TC-20EII on a D70 and D200 for quite a while before moving up
to the original 200-400 f/4 VR and a TC-14EII. The 70-200 f/2.8 with
TC-2 can be a fair bit soft and the 2x slows the focus down quite a
bit, combo is f/5.6.i