Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > find out the throughput between two network nodes

find out the throughput between two network nodes

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

Hi,
Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec

Just wan to know if under no help ( no bandwidth tool -- IPERF and no
workstation connected to the routers );

1. how can I find out the throughput between two WAN routers ? ( based
on only the router IOS or interface statics )

Thanks a lot

Rob

> Hi,
> Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
> not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
> 1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
> 2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec

It often depens a lot on the actual protocol you use between the
endpoints, and the roundtriptime between the endpoints.

When your roundtriptime is quite large and your protocol is inefficient,
you will never reach high bitrates no matter what your WAN link bandwidth
is.

For example, when you use your WAN link to synchronize Windows roaming
user profiles, it will always be slow.
This is because a roaming profile is transferred as hundreds of very
small files, and each file transfer requires several messages back and
forth between the client and the server.

When you want to liik at the real speed, try to use FTP to transfer a
large file. Most FTP tools will report the achieved speed.
Make sure the setting of TCP Window is appropriate for your bandwidth
and roundtriptime.

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 5月26日, 下午4時38分, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
> > not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
> > 1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
> > 2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec

> It often depens a lot on the actual protocol you use between the
> endpoints, and the roundtriptime between the endpoints.
>
> When your roundtriptime is quite large and your protocol is inefficient,
> you will never reach high bitrates no matter what your WAN link bandwidth
> is.
>
> For example, when you use your WAN link to synchronize Windows roaming
> user profiles, it will always be slow.
> This is because a roaming profile is transferred as hundreds of very
> small files, and each file transfer requires several messages back and
> forth between the client and the server.
>
> When you want to liik at the real speed, try to use FTP to transfer a
> large file. *Most FTP tools will report the achieved speed.
> Make sure the setting of TCP Window is appropriate for your bandwidth
> and roundtriptime.

Hi, thanks for your idea.

But my case is :
I tested the speed of end points ( by the tool netCPS --- copying
100Mbytes file ), the link speed between end points across WAN link is
round 1Mbits per second; while the link speed in LAN environment or at
the edge router is around 10Mbits (they are expected speed ).

So we just want to find out the root cause of the WAN environment;
roundtrip time is perfect (1/2/4) and traceroute = (4ms)...but just do
not know how to test the throughput between these two edge router or
the WAN link speed like the following illustration:

LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2

Tested cases (throughput test):
1. LAN1
2 LAN1 - EdageRouter1
3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )

Cases not yet tested:
1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2

If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
I get and througput testing ?

Thanks

Anonymous coward

> LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2
>

> Tested cases (throughput test):
> 1. LAN1
> 2 LAN1 - EdageRouter1
> 3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )
>
> Cases not yet tested:
> 1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
> 2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2
>
> If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
> and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
> I get and througput testing ?

Some routers have ttcp in IOS so you could use that. Other than that -
if wan link is Ethernet - pull out the routers, connect workstations on
both ends and do netcps.

BR,
A.C.

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 5月26日, 下午7時15分, Anonymous coward <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 26/5/11 11:00 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2

> > Tested cases (throughput test):
> > 1. LAN1
> > 2 *LAN1 - EdageRouter1
> > 3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )

> > Cases not yet tested:
> > 1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
> > 2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2

> > If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
> > and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
> > I get and througput testing ?

> Some routers have ttcp in IOS so you could use that. Other than that -
> if wan link is Ethernet - pull out the routers, connect workstations on
> both ends and do netcps.
>
> BR,
> A.C.- 隱藏被引用文* -
>
> - 顯示被引用文* -

Bingo !
Not the exact tool, but good enough !
Thanks so much, I have verified our routers support this tool !