Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Killing Skype Already?

Microsoft Killing Skype Already?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
Asterisk
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partnership/1111>.
But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
protocol, the better.

If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
by bigger companies and then shut down ...

Richard

> Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
> Asterisk
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partnership/1111>.
> But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
> support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
> protocol, the better.
>
> If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
> by bigger companies and then shut down ...

I know someone who bought that skype stuff for asterisk.

**** is putting it mildly for what they found with it. IMO if MS make
direct sip connectivity then that will be a massive win for the
platform. That and get seemless live messenger to skype working and I
would be very worried if I was the other players for dirt cheap voip
services.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <irl9lt$o0b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> IMO if MS make direct sip connectivity then that will be a massive win for
> the platform.

Note that Microsoft already had their “Office Communications Server” (now
renamed “Lync”) which they had been trying to sell for some years. Another
question about the Skype acquisition is what it will mean for Lync: is the
latter now obsolete? Or will they be combined somehow?

I think Lync already supports SIP. So it’s not clear why Skype should add
anything to this, given it is not SIP-based to begin with.

> That and get seemless live messenger to skype working and I
> would be very worried if I was the other players for dirt cheap voip
> services.

First Microsoft have to demonstrate some cohesion of vision among this
poorly-integrated menagerie of products.

victor

> Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
> Asterisk
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/microsoft-skype-breaks-open-source-partnership/1111>.
> But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
> support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
> protocol, the better.
>
> If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought out
> by bigger companies and then shut down ...

It doesn't sound like they are getting rid of the protocol they use on
the Skype network, just providing standard SIP connectivity to other
VOIP PBXs including Asterisk.
So the Skype Connect service makes Digium's proprietary Skype for
Asterisk product redundant. Bet they didn't see that coming !

But the end game for Microsoft might be to take the Skype p2p protocol
out of the market while retaining Skype's customers and product brand

Bruce Sinclair

In article <irph55$j0e$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 26/05/2011 6:57 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Skype is breaking off the agreement that allows it to interoperate with
>> Asterisk

> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking...n-source-partn
>ership/1111>.
>> But the reason they give is that they’re going to concentrate on direct SIP
>> support. Which would be great. The sooner they get rid of their proprietary
>> protocol, the better.
>>
>> If they don’t first join the long, ever-growing list of companies bought

> out
>> by bigger companies and then shut down ...

>It doesn't sound like they are getting rid of the protocol they use on
>the Skype network, just providing standard SIP connectivity to other
>VOIP PBXs including Asterisk.
>So the Skype Connect service makes Digium's proprietary Skype for
>Asterisk product redundant. Bet they didn't see that coming !
>But the end game for Microsoft might be to take the Skype p2p protocol
>out of the market while retaining Skype's customers and product brand

Remember ... it's all about control for MS. Look for "updates" that will
take away choice and openness and increase MS' control of what you can and
cannot do. Nothing new here ... sadly.