Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > User locked problem

User locked problem

Joe J

This just started, Win 7 Home. When I hibernate or put the desktop in
stand-by, and I turn it back on, I get XXX user locked, switch user. So I
click switch user, and it comes up with same name as what it said was
locked. I can then proceed to turn it back on.
Doesn't happen if I shut down, normal startup after that, no password or
user request.

I am the only user and have never entered a password. I've been running
Win7 for two years on this machine and this just started. I'm freaked that
someday it might do the same thing on a full startup and I'll be locked out,
since I never put in a password.
How do I stop the user info from being required after stand-by or hibernate?

Thanks

me again

Joe J wrote:
> This just started, Win 7 Home. When I hibernate or put the desktop in
> stand-by, and I turn it back on, I get XXX user locked,

"locked" just means you have to enter the password.

> I am the only user and have never entered a password.

Did you try pressing enter?

> I've been running
> Win7 for two years on this machine and this just started.

Probably due to one of those blankety-blank 'windows updates.'

> I'm freaked
> that someday it might do the same thing on a full startup and I'll be
> locked out, since I never put in a password.
> How do I stop the user info from being required after stand-by or
> hibernate?

You may have to use TweakUI.exe ...

Jeff Strickland

"Joe J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:irjf48$gjq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This just started, Win 7 Home. When I hibernate or put the desktop in
> stand-by, and I turn it back on, I get XXX user locked, switch user. So I
> click switch user, and it comes up with same name as what it said was
> locked. I can then proceed to turn it back on.
> Doesn't happen if I shut down, normal startup after that, no password or
> user request.
>
> I am the only user and have never entered a password. I've been running
> Win7 for two years on this machine and this just started. I'm freaked
> that someday it might do the same thing on a full startup and I'll be
> locked out, since I never put in a password.
> How do I stop the user info from being required after stand-by or
> hibernate?
>
> Thanks

Right click on the desktop in a location that is not an icon and choose
Properties. Navigate to the tab that presents Power Save options, and
deselect the one that says to input a password to come out of hibernation.

Joe J

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:is2vde$vk2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joe J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:irjf48$gjq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This just started, Win 7 Home. When I hibernate or put the desktop in
>> stand-by, and I turn it back on, I get XXX user locked, switch user. So
>> I click switch user, and it comes up with same name as what it said was
>> locked. I can then proceed to turn it back on.
>> Doesn't happen if I shut down, normal startup after that, no password or
>> user request.
>>
>> I am the only user and have never entered a password. I've been running
>> Win7 for two years on this machine and this just started. I'm freaked
>> that someday it might do the same thing on a full startup and I'll be
>> locked out, since I never put in a password.
>> How do I stop the user info from being required after stand-by or
>> hibernate?
>>
>> Thanks

> Right click on the desktop in a location that is not an icon and choose
> Properties. Navigate to the tab that presents Power Save options, and
> deselect the one that says to input a password to come out of hibernation.

No such option in Win 7. No properties option and nothing under
personalize.

Jeff Strickland

"Joe J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:is43ov$g8l$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:is2vde$vk2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Joe J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:irjf48$gjq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This just started, Win 7 Home. When I hibernate or put the desktop in
>>> stand-by, and I turn it back on, I get XXX user locked, switch user. So
>>> I click switch user, and it comes up with same name as what it said was
>>> locked. I can then proceed to turn it back on.
>>> Doesn't happen if I shut down, normal startup after that, no password or
>>> user request.
>>>
>>> I am the only user and have never entered a password. I've been running
>>> Win7 for two years on this machine and this just started. I'm freaked
>>> that someday it might do the same thing on a full startup and I'll be
>>> locked out, since I never put in a password.
>>> How do I stop the user info from being required after stand-by or
>>> hibernate?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Right click on the desktop in a location that is not an icon and choose
>> Properties. Navigate to the tab that presents Power Save options, and
>> deselect the one that says to input a password to come out of
>> hibernation.
>>

> No such option in Win 7. No properties option and nothing under
> personalize.

I don't have Win7 on this machine, but the options for power management are
certainly there somewhere.

I can't hold your hand and take you to the power options, but there are
power options that have been changed to ask you for a password to bring the
machine out of hibernation.