Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Holga hypocrisy?

Holga hypocrisy?

RichA

First, this from Holga:

I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.

http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

Now this!!!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...8&changemode=1

PeterN

On 5/24/2011 10:25 PM, RichA wrote:
> First, this from Holga:
>
> I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
> The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
> pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.
>
> http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/
>
> Now this!!!
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...8&changemode=1

It is a great camera for learning the basics of art photography,
including composition. It is inexpensive.
If you don't like it don't buy one. Nobody expects you to learn
anything, anyway.

--
Peter

otter

On May 24, 9:35*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/24/2011 10:25 PM, RichA wrote:
>
> > First, this from Holga:

> > I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
> > The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
> > pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.

> >http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

> > Now this!!!

> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...41&message=385...

> It is a great camera for learning the basics of art photography,
> including composition. It is inexpensive.
> If you don't like it don't buy one. Nobody expects you to learn
> anything, anyway.

Did you look at the second link? It is a little funny.

RichA

On May 24, 10:35*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/24/2011 10:25 PM, RichA wrote:
>
> > First, this from Holga:

> > I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
> > The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
> > pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.

> >http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

> > Now this!!!

> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...41&message=385...

> It is a great camera for learning the basics of art photography,
> including composition. It is inexpensive.
> If you don't like it don't buy one. Nobody expects you to learn
> anything, anyway.
>
> --
> Peter

It's not about the camera, fool. Which you would know if you actually
read it.

Peter Chant

PeterN wrote:

> It is a great camera for learning the basics of art photography,
> including composition. It is inexpensive.
> If you don't like it don't buy one. Nobody expects you to learn
> anything, anyway.

But there are approximately 70 years worth of second hand cameras out there
that are light tight and generally focus better and are inexpensive. As far
as just concentrating on composition - the basic compacts do that - you have
a shutter release button to press and not much else. They must be cheap in
the flea markets if you can't just scrounge one off of someone.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

RichA wrote:

> It's not about the camera, fool. Which you would know if you actually
> read it.

<troll>Are you BA Baracus</troll>

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

bugbear wrote:

> I'm surprised someone hasn't extended CHDK to implement
> the Lomo effect as a built in on Canon cameras...

Better done in the digital darkroom as post processing as it is reversable?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

RichA

On May 25, 5:55*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > First, this from Holga:

> > I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
> > The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
> > pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.

> I'm surprised someone hasn't extended CHDK to implement
> the Lomo effect as a built in on Canon cameras...
>
> * BugBear

Gimmicks like using intentionally crappy lenses are good for about 10
minutes. But do you really want to stare at something like that on
your wall for months?

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On May 25, 5:55*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>> > First, this from Holga:

>> > I'm afraid to say that until this very moment they have been closed.
>> > The unassuming Holga is here to save you from a future of digital
>> > pixels and images shared on small screens on cameras or phones.

>> I'm surprised someone hasn't extended CHDK to implement
>> the Lomo effect as a built in on Canon cameras...
>>
>> * BugBear

>Gimmicks like using intentionally crappy lenses are good for about 10
>minutes. But do you really want to stare at something like that on
>your wall for months?

A camera with a decent lens can easily be degraded to Holga
"standards" by using a glass filter and Vaseline. Using a Holga
camera always gives low standards without any hope of improvement.

What is the point?

I feel the same way about LensBaby. The LensBaby lenses are much
better than the Holga lens but they are still optically very poor. And
they cost more. We don't sell many.

Again, what is the point?

I cannot see the attraction of a camera or lens that always gives bad
results. Where is the "fun" in that?

David Dyer-Bennet

On May 25, 1:10*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I'm surprised someone hasn't extended CHDK to implement
> >> the Lomo effect as a built in on Canon cameras...

> >> BugBear

> >Gimmicks like using intentionally crappy lenses are good for about 10
> >minutes. *But do you really want to stare at something like that on
> >your wall for months?

> A camera with a decent lens can easily be degraded to Holga
> "standards" by using a glass filter and Vaseline. *Using a Holga
> camera always gives low standards without any hope of improvement. *
>
> What is the point?
>
> I feel the same way about LensBaby. *The LensBaby lenses are much
> better than the Holga lens but they are still optically very poor. And
> they cost more. *We don't sell many.
>
> Again, what is the point? *
>
> I cannot see the attraction of a camera or lens that always gives bad
> results. *Where is the "fun" in that?

Nikon sells a couple of "DC" lenses which, for a thousand dollars or
so, let you
introduce small amounts of controlled...coma, I think? Some "bad"
optical effect, anyway.
They're used to make portraits look better.

Which is to say that many photographers think in artistic rather than
technical terms; what's "good" artistically may come from something
that is "bad" technically.