Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is the Microsoft brand helping or hurting Windows Phone 7?

Is the Microsoft brand helping or hurting Windows Phone 7?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/is-the-microsoft-brand-helping-or-hurting-windows-phone-7/6011>

Myself, I don’t think the brand itself is holding the product back. But
Windows Phone 7 is certainly another contribution to the perception that
Microsoft is a company stuck in defensive mode, watching the markets
where it is invulnerable slowly lose their relevance.

To Microsoft, everything must be done in terms of “Windows”. With their
previous effort in the smartphone arena, Windows Mobile, they tried to
put a Start menu on an ultramobile device, which was a really dumb thing
to do. But they persisted with it for years, until it became clear even
to them that this was not sustainable.

Windows Phone 7 answers that issue. But it is hedged round with so many
restrictions: vendors are not allowed to put it on tablets—that market
segment is reserved for regular Windows, so again we are back to the
Start menu on an ultramobile device. It’s like they learned the bare
minimum lesson, and they will need their arse kicked again before they
will grudgingly take the lesson to the next level.

I think this must reflect some internal power tussle within Microsoft
itself: the Windows crowd is so powerful, anything that requires a
mindset fundamentally incompatible with desktop Windows is a threat to
them. The end result is that they are strangling Windows Phone 7 before
it even has much of a chance to flourish.

More than one reviewer has commented how much of a muchness all the
Windows Phone 7 devices are. I thought Microsoft set only a baseline
hardware spec, that the vendors were free to innovate beyond that. But
it turns out they’re all pretty much sticking to the baseline spec.

But why? Don’t they want to outdo each other and grab market share from
the competition? It’s like they have no enthusiasm for that. And many of
these are the same companies that are doing so well in the feverish
competition among Android phones, for example, so it can’t be that they
are just stupid; it must be because they don’t see much of a future for
Windows Phone 7.

In which case, why bother to bring out WP7 products at all? Could it be
that somebody is being, shall we say, pretty persuasive with them?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <irf83n$rk5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> More than one reviewer has commented how much of a muchness all the
> Windows Phone 7 devices are.

Some were saying the upcoming “Mango” update was supposed to change all
this, but early indications are not good
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/will-mango-move-windows-phones-from-so-so-to-sexy/9561>.

> In which case, why bother to bring out WP7 products at all? Could it be
> that somebody is being, shall we say, pretty persuasive with them?

At some point, of course the persuader will run out of persuasion, and
market forces will kick in and tell them to **** off.