Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IE vs. Firefox

IE vs. Firefox

James D Andrews

Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Paul

James D Andrews wrote:
> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?

You can use FTP from an MSDOS command window, if it makes
you feel better

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

Most OSes come with an ftp client, operable from the
command line. Even MacOSX has one (run it from the Terminal).

HTH,
Paul

Erik Vastmasd

I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> on Mon, 23
May 2011 21:29:12 -0500, writing in alt.computer:

>Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?

LOL. No, just because you use a Microsoft operating system doesn't mean
you have to use any of their other applications.

Wish you luck, see how you go with Firefox another alternative is Opera.
--

Erik

Jeff Strickland

"James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:irf55j$s3r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?

No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
download Chrome, then download FireFox...

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:irf55j$s3r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
>>

> No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
> download Chrome, then download FireFox...

Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
to download it, without the help of Explorer.

ftp ftp.mozilla.org

Paul

Jeff Strickland

news:irgjc0$qak$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:irf55j$s3r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
>>>

>> No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
>> download Chrome, then download FireFox...

> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
>
> ftp ftp.mozilla.org

Sure, you could, but why bother? Windows (all Windows) has IE installed that
cannot be removed, so simply start IE and navigate to www.firefox.com and
download the program and install it.

The OP was not saying he could not do this, it asked (tongue in cheek, I'm
sure) if it was immoral to do so.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> news:irgjc0$qak$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:irf55j$s3r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
>>> download Chrome, then download FireFox...

>> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
>> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
>> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
>> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
>>
>> ftp ftp.mozilla.org
>>

> Sure, you could, but why bother? Windows (all Windows) has IE installed that
> cannot be removed, so simply start IE and navigate to www.firefox.com and
> download the program and install it.
>
> The OP was not saying he could not do this, it asked (tongue in cheek, I'm
> sure) if it was immoral to do so.

There was a time, before I got my first browser, where indeed this was
how I bootstrapped myself (FTP). My first browser, required downloading source
and compiling it on the computer. I was on a Unix box at the time, and
it may have been Mosaic. That was quite a while ago.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...b_browsers.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCSA_Mosaic

In other restrictive situations (such as building Gentoo from scratch),
a tool like Lynx is used, which works when there is no graphics
capability on the computer. (All you can view is text - you can
download the graphics for a web page, but, well, there's no way
to view them if you're stuck with only a console window of some sort.)
On occasion, I used Lynx at work to do stuff, as we weren't always showered
with lots of useful software.

In this example, you can see Lynx working in Xterm. With the composition of
most web pages today, this thing gives you nothing but an ugly mess. So this
is no longer a very practical tool. Web pages aren't coded well for it.
Navigation would be virtually impossible on a modern web page.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-wikipedia.png

Crude tools like that, are for when you're on a pretty broken computer.

So you can bootstrap yourself, by using FTP to download Lynx, and then use
Lynx to view the text portion of browser pages.

Other tools you can use, are "curl" and "wget".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
of fun.

Paul

James D Andrews

Erik Vastmasd embroidered on the monitor :
> I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> on Mon, 23
> May 2011 21:29:12 -0500, writing in alt.computer:
>
>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
>>

> LOL. No, just because you use a Microsoft operating system doesn't mean
> you have to use any of their other applications.
>
> Wish you luck, see how you go with Firefox another alternative is Opera.
> --
>
> Erik

Thanks.

Downloaded that one, too, along with numerous other alternatives, but
going with Firefox for now because of its wide acceptance and because
my particular search bar works with it (and IE), but currently with no
others.

Oddly, the Import Favorites function during installation did not work
(with no error message reported) and I had to do this within the
program. But since it worked inside the program, not really a big
issue.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
-Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

James D Andrews

Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:irgjc0$qak$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
>>> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
>>> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
>>> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
>>>
>>> ftp ftp.mozilla.org
>>>

> A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
> access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
> of fun.
>
> Paul

Ah, the good old days. I don't miss punch cards, I can tell you that.

I have to admit, I'm a freeware junky. My system is overloaded with
software - my own fault. I find programs to do things I never knew I
wanted to do in the first place, but love having.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
-Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

James D Andrews

Paul was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
> James D Andrews wrote:
>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
>>

> You can use FTP from an MSDOS command window, if it makes
> you feel better
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
>
> Most OSes come with an ftp client, operable from the
> command line. Even MacOSX has one (run it from the Terminal).
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks, Paul.
I was just attempting to be funny, hoping to bring a brief smile, about
the comparisons of Internet browsers.