Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Abandoning Python

Abandoning Python

John Lee

John Lee <jjl <at> pobox.com> writes:
[...]
> That's interesting, thanks. I see this is a different pylint than the old
> logilab pylint. Unfortunate choice of name, since it makes it hard to find
> IDE integration work that's already done.

Hmm, I see the last release was in 2003

John

Daniel Kluev

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:33 AM, John Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Pylint? *Does it provide some kind of guessed-at-type that has been integrated
> with IDEs?

WingIDE Pro has both Pylint integration and advanced type-guessing.

--
With best regards,
Daniel Kluev

Robin Becker

On 21/05/2011 16:49, John J Lee wrote:
> </troll>
>
> I still like Python after using it for over a decade, but there are
> things I don't like.

a relatively new one that's going about is cobra, http://cobra-language.com/, it
appears to have some of the features you indicate eg speed, some kind of
interfaces (contracts I think), but it needs net or mono.
--
Robin Becker

Paul Rubin

John Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In this thread, I'm asking about the views of Python programmers on
> languages other than Python.

I sympathize with what you're looking for but I don't think there's
a really good answer at this time. Things IMO are converging in the
direction of functional languages like Haskell but it seems to
me that there is a big gap between the current academic ideas and
what makes sense for working programmers. The academics aren't
all that concerned with practicality, but good solutions really
have to incorporate their ideas since the rest of us are rather
badly behind the times.

Haskell probably has the most vibrant development community at
the moment but its learning curve is quite steep, and it has
various shortcomings some of which are being worked on but others
of which may be insurmountable.

If you like the Java ecosystem but not the Java language, check
out Scala.

You could look for the article "The Next Mainstream Programming
Languages" by Tim Sweeney. It discusses similar issues to what I
think you are facing.

harrismh777

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Haskell probably has the most vibrant development community at
> the moment but its learning curve is quite steep, and it has
> various shortcomings some of which are being worked on but others
> of which may be insurmountable.

Yes. You might want to lurk on:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/

Re: Abandoning Python Ed Keith Python 5 05-24-2011 12:21 AM
Microsoft Abandoning Dimdows? Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 05-26-2009 08:23 AM
vector, hash table, etc. library in C? I am abandoning C++ mneuhaber22@berlin.com C++ 12 04-22-2006 08:43 PM
Homeland Security Agency recommends abandoning IE dotnetforfood ASP .Net 3 07-04-2004 07:03 PM
Why do my sessions keep abandoning?? Philipp Schumann ASP .Net 1 04-17-2004 11:07 PM

Advertisments