Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Abandoning Python

Reply
Thread Tools

Abandoning Python

 
 
John J Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2011
</troll>

I still like Python after using it for over a decade, but there are
things I don't like.

What are your favourite up-and-coming languages of the moment?

Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):

* A widely used standard for (optional) interface declaration -- or
something better. I want it to be easier to know what interface an
object has when reading code, and which objects provide that
interface.
* Lower memory usage and faster execution speed. Yes, this has been a
price worth paying. But I do want jam on it, please: give me a
language where I get most of Python's advantages but don't have to
pay it.
* Better support for writing correct programs in the form of better
support for things like non-imperative programming, DBC, etc. (with
the emphasis on "etc").
* Perhaps better built-in support for common tasks in common application
domains. Concurrency, persistence, database queries come to mind.
* Better refactoring tools, better code analysis tools (lint, search,
etc.).
* An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
commercial software.

I'm prepared to compromise on the last one. Obviously, it should do all
that while preserving all the nice features of Python -- surely an easy
task.


John
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Bokma
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2011
John J Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> </troll>
>
> I still like Python after using it for over a decade, but there are
> things I don't like.
>
> What are your favourite up-and-coming languages of the moment?
>
> Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):
>
> * A widely used standard for (optional) interface declaration -- or
> something better. I want it to be easier to know what interface an
> object has when reading code, and which objects provide that
> interface.
> * Lower memory usage and faster execution speed. Yes, this has been a
> price worth paying. But I do want jam on it, please: give me a
> language where I get most of Python's advantages but don't have to
> pay it.
> * Better support for writing correct programs in the form of better
> support for things like non-imperative programming, DBC, etc. (with
> the emphasis on "etc").
> * Perhaps better built-in support for common tasks in common application
> domains. Concurrency, persistence, database queries come to mind.
> * Better refactoring tools, better code analysis tools (lint, search,
> etc.).
> * An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
> commercial software.
>
> I'm prepared to compromise on the last one. Obviously, it should do all
> that while preserving all the nice features of Python -- surely an easy
> task.


A language I want to give a serious try the coming months is Haskell.

--
John Bokma j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
Perl for books: http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-ex...for-books.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel Kluev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:49 AM, John J Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):


How come pony is not listed there? Language cannot be better than
python without pony!

> ** An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
> * commercial software.


According to all language popularity indexes [1-10], C# and
Objective-C are only languages which have any chance to fulfill these
requirements, but they arguably less flexible than python and have
copyright/patent complications.
As there is rather heavy inertia in software development community,
expecting some language to acquire "even larger user base" is
hopeless.

Also, most of these complaints could be solved by using correct python
dialect for particular task - RPython, Cython and so on.

--
With best regards,
Daniel Kluev
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Kluev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Daniel Kluev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> According to all language popularity indexes [1-10], C# and


Forgot to include references, although everyone probably already knows them,

[1] https://www.ohloh.net/languages?query=&sort=projects
[2] http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
[3] http://libresoft.es/debian-counting/...enu=Statistics
[4] http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
[5] http://langpop.com/
and so on

--
With best regards,
Daniel Kluev
 
Reply With Quote
 
John J Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
Daniel Kluev <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:49 AM, John J Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):

>
> How come pony is not listed there? Language cannot be better than
> python without pony!


Pony, absolutely. I took that as read.


>> ** An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
>> * commercial software.

[...]
> As there is rather heavy inertia in software development community,
> expecting some language to acquire "even larger user base" is
> hopeless.


I did say I was prepared to compromise on that one. After all, when I
started using Python it was a lot smaller that it is now. If a language
is good enough to tempt me away from Python, probably the same is true
for other people too -- as it was with Python a decade or so ago.


> Also, most of these complaints could be solved by using correct python
> dialect for particular task - RPython, Cython and so on.


Different topic.


John
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
Bill Allen <wallenpb <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You have ideas, a text editor, and a computer - best get to coding.
> What's stopping you? You largely want Python, with modifications.
> Join the development team and help implement those changes, or fork
> your own flavor and do what you wish. Right? You imagine it's an
> easy task, so get after it.

[...]

Is it possible that my calling it an easy task was a joke?

Honestly, I'd thought it safe with that one to leave out the smiley -- but then
I've been away from newsgroups for quite a while!


John


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
Dan Stromberg <drsalists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM, John J Lee <jjl <at> pobox.com> wrote:
> </troll>
> I still like Python after using it for over a decade, but there are
> things I don't like.
> What are your favourite up-and-coming languages of the moment?
> Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):
> ** A widely used standard for (optional) interface declaration -- or
> * something better. *I want it to be easier to know what interface an
> * object has when reading code, and which objects provide that
> * interface.
>
>
> I do miss this sometimes, but pylint takes things far enough for me.*


Pylint? Does it provide some kind of guessed-at-type that has been integrated
with IDEs?

[...]
> And here I thought Python had pretty good functional programming facilities.
> What do you miss?AFAIK, DBC in terms of "if condition: raise AssertionError"
> (or assert).What _is_ the "etc"?

[...more of the same...]

You tell me: I'm here to fish for interesting pointers rather than to
evangelize. I mention those specific things as examples because I know they
have often been both the focus of research (well, perhaps not integration of
queries), and pain points in software development. It's not plausible to me
that there is not room for major improvement, but in any case the only way to
know is to try.


> ** Better refactoring tools, better code analysis tools (lint, search,
> * etc.).
>
> I find pylint excellent.* My idea of a refactoring tool is vim's n.n.n.,* but

have you looked at PyCharm?*

In this thread, I'm asking about the views of Python programmers on languages
other than Python. Thanks for the link, though (does PyCharm provide reliable
refactoring tools that are useable from emacs?).


> ** An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
> * commercial software.
>
> Gee, you want a scripting language with a larger userbase?*


I don't want a scripting language, necessarily.


John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stefan Behnel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
John J Lee, 22.05.2011 17:58:
> Daniel Kluev writes:
>> Also, most of these complaints could be solved by using correct python
>> dialect for particular task - RPython, Cython and so on.

>
> Different topic.


Why?

Stefan

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml <at> behnel.de> writes:

>
> John J Lee, 22.05.2011 17:58:
> > Daniel Kluev writes:
> >> Also, most of these complaints could be solved by using correct python
> >> dialect for particular task - RPython, Cython and so on.

> >
> > Different topic.

>
> Why?


The intended focus was "things other than Python". RPython and Cython are
languages other than Python, but I regard them as part of the Python, er,
ecosystem. They have advantages and drawbacks that a lot of us are already
familiar with (even though in your position I imagine you notice the
misconceptions more than the correct ones). The thought behind my question was
to get Pythonista's opinions about things outside of that.


John


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011
Dan Stromberg <drsalists <at> gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Pylint does type inferencing - I find it very valuable on large projects, and
> even some not-so-large projects.I doubt Pylint's been integrated into any
> IDE's,

[...]

That's interesting, thanks. I see this is a different pylint than the old
logilab pylint. Unfortunate choice of name, since it makes it hard to find IDE
integration work that's already done.


> But PyCharm probably has refactoring.* For a bolt-on to vim or
> emacs, you might look at "Rope".


TBH, I'm not interested in Python refactoring tools until everybody starts
shouting that they're reliable and useful (because it seems like a hard problem
to solve, so I guess most implementations will be more trouble than they're
worth).


John


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Abandoning Python Ed Keith Python 5 05-24-2011 12:21 AM
Microsoft Abandoning Dimdows? Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 05-26-2009 08:23 AM
vector, hash table, etc. library in C? I am abandoning C++ mneuhaber22@berlin.com C++ 12 04-22-2006 08:43 PM
Homeland Security Agency recommends abandoning IE dotnetforfood ASP .Net 3 07-04-2004 07:03 PM
Why do my sessions keep abandoning?? Philipp Schumann ASP .Net 1 04-17-2004 11:07 PM



Advertisments