Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > tools for programming applets

tools for programming applets

Andreas Leitgeb

horos22 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was looking to do some quick java development of applets. Here's my
> situation:
> 1. I have a static server (ie: that I cannot touch) which serves my
> client data (and applets).
> 2. a bare-bones client programming setup (vim and java compiler)
> What I was hoping to do, therefore, is hijack the applets that are
> coming from the server, and replace them with my own, compiled ones,
> and hook the browser in such a way that when the applet is asked for,
> my applet fires instead (hopefully in debugging mode) using the data
> from the server as input.

If the static server is *not* using https, you could create some proxy
(transparent or not) that would intercept the requests for the applet-code
but pass through all the rest.

It seemed to me on overreading the thread, that this type of operation
was not intended by design, so it's *likely* (but not necessarily) so,
that no easier way exists.

There *may* even exist ways for an https-site, but I won't delve into
that. I might perhaps want to visit the USA some time in future and not
get arrested for some DMCA-BS applied to a triviality. It's just, that
if some web-developer stumbles over this thread, he should under no
circumstances come to believe, that "client side security" with applets
was anything else than utter insecurity.

Michael Wojcik

Silvio wrote:

> Why don't you run a local proxy (apache comes to mind but even
> Tomcat/Jetty would do) for the site with some special rules to serve the
> applet from where you have it and to replace the sites DNS with its
> actual IP. Then map the DNS to localhost in /etc/hosts or
> /Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts. Has worked fine with almost any
> site for me in the past.

Was this really the only post in this interminable thread to suggest a
proxy?

To the OP: Look at your problem this way. You want a server you
control, so you can test your applet. You want the applet to be able
to request resources from that server. You don't want to duplicate the
production server.

So set up your local server to serve the applet from a local resource,
and to proxy everything else from the production server. A server can
provide some content without being the origin server for that content.
(HTTP specifies a number of proxying modes to solve problems like
this; see RFC 2616.)

The applet needs non-HTTP resources from the production server? Proxy
those as well. There are any number of generic TCP proxy utilities
floating around. I often use the TcpTunnel utility from the old Apache
Java SOAP toolkit, mostly because I've had it lying around for years
and there's been no reason to find or write another one, for this purpose.

Personally, I'd go ahead and duplicate the origin server, or a subset
of it, because that's usually the best option, for all the reasons
that have already been mentioned in the thread. But proxying is a
viable alternative.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus

Stanimir Stamenkov

Thu, 26 May 2011 11:35:55 +1200, /Lawrence D'Oliveiro/:
> In message <irgamq$1m8$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>
>> jQuery ... does a lot of things wrong ...

> So put your coding skills where your mouth is, and offer up something
> better.
>
>> If you go to comp.lang.javascript you'll get quite negative opinion
>> on the usefulness of the jQuery library from the experts.

> It still offers functionality in places where Java doesn’t even have places.

You're obviously making silly remarks and no arguments. You've
stripped and haven't replied to my question "Which languages have a
jQuery equivalent?". I start to believe you have no clue what
you're talking about, really.

--
Stanimir

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Alessio
Stalla wrote:

> ... and he hasn't many resources since it's not working for profit ...

How “many resources” do you need? As I pointed out, even a terabyte database
doesn’t need expensive hardware to hold it these days.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <irllsa$v5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Any self-respecting project will have a test version of the server on a
> development box. This will be a fully functional, cutting edge version of
> the server by definition and will usually only have a small database
> since most developers generally don't put more data in it than they need
> to support their test cases.

True, up to a point. You’ll probably need a full-size database to do
performance testing, that kind of thing.

And the most basic thing: testing what happens when you run out of space.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew
Thompson wrote:

> Which millennium are you trapped in?

Funny, in this noisegroup, I get that feeling all the time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, horos22
wrote:

> Sheesh. I swear that developers (myself included) have been in this
> industry SO LONG that they take for granted the bulky, resource
> intensive, extra-life-support-systems-required effort that programming
> has become.

Who said it did?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <loLCp.18589$(E-Mail Removed)>, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> Here's another way of looking at it: assume that readers only have the
> one post to examine.

What a stupid assumption.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <irmfp1$9lo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> Thu, 26 May 2011 11:35:55 +1200, /Lawrence D'Oliveiro/:
>
>> In message <irgamq$1m8$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>
>>> jQuery ... does a lot of things wrong ...

>> So put your coding skills where your mouth is, and offer up something
>> better.
>>
>>> If you go to comp.lang.javascript you'll get quite negative opinion
>>> on the usefulness of the jQuery library from the experts.

>> It still offers functionality in places where Java doesn’t even have
>> places.

> You're obviously making silly remarks and no arguments. You've
> stripped and haven't replied to my question "Which languages have a
> jQuery equivalent?".

If you insist: “certainly not Java”.

Own goal, anyone?

Lew

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro:

>>> So put your coding skills where your mouth is, and offer up something
>>> better.

>>> It still offers functionality in places where Java doesn’t even have
>>> places.

>> You're obviously making silly remarks and no arguments. You've
>> stripped and haven't replied to my question "Which languages have a
>> jQuery equivalent?".

> If you insist: “certainly not Java”.
>
> Own goal, anyone?

Once again, silly remark and no argument. The question is what languages
BESIDES Java DO have such a thing. The point is that the other languages
don't either, so there is no advantage to any language on that score. You
know that, you just don't have an answer to the valid point, so you engage in
your stupid nonsense, Lawrence.

Point goes to Stanimir, Lawrence. Next time, Lawrence, try addressing the
point instead of pulling these intellectually dishonest pony tricks, Lawrence.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.