Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

J. Clarke

In article <911ec499-45cf-4560-b246-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> On May 24, 3:42*pm, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <3dad5da1-8929-40c0-99ce-c78c94ca9dc6
> > @c1g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > > You go against MS advice, the company that makes Windows. Windows
> > > security relies on third party AV.
> > > And in doing so you have no way of knowing your system is clean.

> > Windows security does not rely on _any_ kind of antivirus.

> So you don't need an antivirus with Windows.

Not if you manage the security properly.

> > Lock the system down and the damage that malware can do is very limited.

> Doh. I want to use my computer online. And wouldn't an AV protect
> against the malware?

Not as well as locking it down properly. Locking the machine down
doesn't prevent going online any more than locking down a Mac or a Unix
box prevents going online. The big difference is that Macs and Unix
boxen generally come locked down. It's an uphill battle getting Windows
users to accept the notion of running from a user account and only using
administrator privilege for system maintenance.

> > However Microsoft provides their own antivirus at no charge if you
> > really want to have one.

> Why did MS bother making an AV if you don't need one?

Because people want one and they get criticized for the lack.

> And why do they
> recommend having one "to protect your PC"?
> See http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...rotect-pc.aspx

You'd have to ask Microsoft. That pages says "how to _boost_ your
malware defense". And an AV will certainly "boost your malware
defense". Whether it actually _needs_ boosting is another story.

The "choose from a list of Microsoft Partners" may be part of the story.

> If you don't run an AV on Windows you have no way of knowing you run a
> clean system (unless you say offline but science you re reading this
> that is not the case).

If you don't run an AV on OS/X, Linux, or Plan 9 you have no way of )
_knowing_ you run a clean system either.

For that matter if you _do_ run an AV you _still_ don't _know_ that your
system is clean, only that the AV can't detect any problems.

Personally I've had more problems caused by the AV than I ever did from
malware, so I quit using it. If I think there is a problem, then I may
run a scan.

DanP

On May 25, 12:21*pm, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > However Microsoft provides their own antivirus at no charge if you
> > > really want to have one.

> > Why did MS bother making an AV if you don't need one?

> Because people want one and they get criticized for the lack.

I have seen a computer having Windows reinstalled while having an
internet connection, then one hour later after installing the firewall
and AV a virus was found.
After that the person doing the reinstall unplugged the net cable,
formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows, firewall and AV from the
same source, system was clean. The system did the update online after
that and everything was fine.

> > And why do they
> > recommend having one "to protect your PC"?
> > Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/protect-pc.aspx

> You'd have to ask Microsoft. *That pages says "how to _boost_ your
> malware defense". *And an AV will certainly "boost your malware
> defense". *Whether it actually _needs_ boosting is another story.

"How to boost your malware defense and protect your PC". I did not
talk about boosting and my quote is ignored by you while changing the
subject.

> The "choose from a list of Microsoft Partners" may be part of the story. *
>
> > If you don't run an AV on Windows you have no way of knowing you run a
> > clean system (unless you say offline but science you re reading this
> > that is not the case).

> If you don't run an AV on OS/X, Linux, or Plan 9 you have no way of )
> _knowing_ you run a clean system either.

I do, for a Linux virus to take control of the system it needs the
user to type in the root pwd.
It never happened to me to be asked to do it while running a program.

If Windows is so secure how come there are so many viruses/trojans out
there on Windows boxes?

I do internet banking on Windows. An AV is a must.

DanP

Wolfgang Weisselberg

DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you don't run an AV on Windows you have no way of knowing you run a
> clean system

You cannot know that even if you have and use AV software.
See the halting problem.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Reilly writes:

>> If you don't have disparate
>> groups, such as when you're starting a new thing, or are the only vendor
>> of the thing, then you don't need to be constrained by a standard.

> It's the other way around: you have a de facto standard, to which everyone
> already conforms.

That must be why MS changes it's formats and so on every now
and then.

-Wolfgang

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I have seen a computer having Windows reinstalled while having an
> > internet connection, then one hour later after installing the firewall
> > and AV a virus was found.

> You don't need an Internet connection to install Windows.

how do you get the updates? mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to
microsoft?

J. Clarke

In article <250520112030443396%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)d says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > I have seen a computer having Windows reinstalled while having an
> > > internet connection, then one hour later after installing the firewall
> > > and AV a virus was found.

> > You don't need an Internet connection to install Windows.

> how do you get the updates? mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to
> microsoft?

I'm curious as to whether a virus was found or whether a false positive
was found. I've seen crapware antivirus programs that show CAD drawings
as containing a virus.

In any case, one logs in to a user account, downloads updates, then logs
in as administrator and installs them. And any virus can do little
damage if it's not run from an administrator account.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed) ocal>, J.
Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > You don't need an Internet connection to install Windows.

> > how do you get the updates? mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to
> > microsoft?

> I'm curious as to whether a virus was found or whether a false positive
> was found. I've seen crapware antivirus programs that show CAD drawings
> as containing a virus.
>
> In any case, one logs in to a user account, downloads updates, then logs
> in as administrator and installs them. And any virus can do little
> damage if it's not run from an administrator account.

that requires an internet connection.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

>> That must be why MS changes it's formats and so on every now
>> and then.

> Which formats?

e.g. Office.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <911ec499-45cf-4560-b246-

>> So you don't need an antivirus with Windows.

> Not if you manage the security properly.

Of course, an embedded Windows (embedded with an axe in the
mainboard, that is) is secure, but rather unresponsive.

How do you deal with the very common usage case of downloading
some program from the internet?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DanP writes:

>> And in doing so you have no way of knowing your system is clean.

> Yes, I do. I use my brain, so I don't need AV.

Your brain is incapable of deciding if the machine is
infected. (So is AV software, but it's faster and more
accurate.)

BTW, how about Outlook preview? Is it really fixed nowadays?

-Wolfgang