Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Switch feature or not ?

Cisco Switch feature or not ?

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

Hi,
Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
feature ?

Thanks a lot.

Doug McIntyre

>Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
>down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
>issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

>Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
>feature ?

Perhaps you are thinking of BPDUguard?

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 5月18日, 下午1時33分, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> >down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> >issue ? I do not know what feature called ?
> >Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> >feature ?

> Perhaps you are thinking of BPDUguard?

Thanks for the reminder.

Once I though that, but it is none of Root Guard, BPDU Guard, Loop
Guard nor UDLD Guard, any other Guard I did not mention ?

alexd

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Once I though that, but it is none of Root Guard, BPDU Guard, Loop
> Guard nor UDLD Guard, any other Guard I did not mention ?

You forgot Coldstream Guard.

19:31:22 up 11 days, 23:30, 6 users, load average: 0.04, 0.16, 0.19
"People believe any quote they read on the internet
if it fits their preconceived notions." - Martin Luther King

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

On May 18, 3:14*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
> Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> issue ? I do not know what feature called ?
>
> Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> feature ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

maybe these options?

switchport port-security maximum {max # of MAC addresses allowed}: You
can use this option to allow more than the default number of MAC
addresses, which is one. For example, if you had a 12-port hub
connected to this switch port, you would want to allow 12 MAC addresses
one for each device. The maximum number of secure MAC addresses per
port is 132.

switchport port-security violation {shutdown | restrict | protect}:
This command tells the switch what to do when the number of MAC
addresses on the port has exceeded the maximum. The default is to shut
down the port. However, you can also choose to alert the network
administrator (i.e., restrict) or only allow traffic from the secure
port and drop packets from other MAC addresses (i.e., protect).

switchport port-security mac-address {MAC address}: You can use this
option to manually define the MAC address allowed for this port rather
than letting the port dynamically determine the MAC address

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 5月19日, 上午7時20分, "flamer (E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 18, 3:14*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> > down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> > issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

> > Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> > feature ?

> > Thanks a lot.

> maybe these options?
>
> switchport port-security maximum {max # of MAC addresses allowed}: You
> can use this option to allow more than the default number of MAC
> addresses, which is one. For example, if you had a 12-port hub
> connected to this switch port, you would want to allow 12 MAC addresses
> —one for each device. The maximum number of secure MAC addresses per
> port is 132.
>
> switchport port-security violation {shutdown | restrict | protect}:
> This command tells the switch what to do when the number of MAC
> addresses on the port has exceeded the maximum. The default is to shut
> down the port. However, you can also choose to alert the network
> administrator (i.e., restrict) or only allow traffic from the secure
> port and drop packets from other MAC addresses (i.e., protect).
>
> switchport port-security mac-address {MAC address}: You can use this
> option to manually define the MAC address allowed for this port rather
> than letting the port dynamically determine the MAC address

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

I shall check about the coldstream Guard.

Meanwhile, I do not think Port-security is the solution.
Its operation is to cause switch port to shut down/disabled whenever
extra MAC address violates the granted security rules.
Cheers

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 5月19日, 上午9時34分, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 5月19日, 上午7時20分, "flamer (E-Mail Removed)"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On May 18, 3:14*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> > > down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> > > issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

> > > Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> > > feature ?

> > > Thanks a lot.

> > maybe these options?

> > switchport port-security maximum {max # of MAC addresses allowed}: You
> > can use this option to allow more than the default number of MAC
> > addresses, which is one. For example, if you had a 12-port hub
> > connected to this switch port, you would want to allow 12 MAC addresses
> > —one for each device. The maximum number of secure MAC addresses per
> > port is 132.

> > switchport port-security violation {shutdown | restrict | protect}:
> > This command tells the switch what to do when the number of MAC
> > addresses on the port has exceeded the maximum. The default is to shut
> > down the port. However, you can also choose to alert the network
> > administrator (i.e., restrict) or only allow traffic from the secure
> > port and drop packets from other MAC addresses (i.e., protect).

> > switchport port-security mac-address {MAC address}: You can use this
> > option to manually define the MAC address allowed for this port rather
> > than letting the port dynamically determine the MAC address

> Thanks so much for your suggestion.
>
> I shall check about the coldstream Guard.
>
> Meanwhile, I do not think Port-security is the solution.
> Its operation is to cause switch port to shut down/disabled whenever
> extra MAC address violates the granted security rules.
> Cheers- 隱藏被引用文* -
>
> - 顯示被引用文* -

coldstream guard seems not related to network world !

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 525, W248, "Martin Bilgrav" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi,
> > Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> > down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> > issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

> > Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> > feature ?

> The command you are looking for is called "Link state group 1
> upstream/downstream"
> It is a interface command.
> Look into the Catalyst command ref:http://tinyurl.com/3guf57a
> Feature is called Link-State tracking
>
> > Thanks a lot.

> np
> Regards
> Martin
>

> - óQޥΤr -
>
> - ܳQޥΤr -

Hi, Martin,

Thanks so much for your help. I shall check if the feature is
fit....but it should be a great help.

BTW, we found the EEM feature may also be helpful.

Cheers

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 526, U340, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 525, W248, "Martin Bilgrav" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > Hi,
> > > Just heard that, all switch ports of a cisco switch are locked up/shut
> > > down/disabled triggered by uplink port (trunk mode or access mode )
> > > issue ? I do not know what feature called ?

> > > Anybody can tell me about this feature, or it is Cisco proprietary
> > > feature ?

> > The command you are looking for is called "Link state group 1
> > upstream/downstream"
> > It is a interface command.
> > Look into the Catalyst command ref:http://tinyurl.com/3guf57a
> > Feature is called Link-State tracking

> > > Thanks a lot.

> > np
> > Regards
> > Martin

> > - óQޥΤr -

> > - ܳQޥΤr -

> Hi, Martin,
>
> Thanks so much for your help. I shall check if the feature is
> fit....but it should be a great help.
>
> BTW, we found the EEM feature may also be helpful.
>
> Cheers- óQޥΤr -
>
> - ܳQޥΤr -

Verified....this is the tool !

Cheers