Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Upgrade motherboard in 9 year old machine

Reply
Thread Tools

Upgrade motherboard in 9 year old machine

 
 
Possible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2011
On Tue, 24 May 2011 01:12:59 +1200, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2011 23:12:22 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB1424
>>>
>>> Actually I'd rather have an Intel i3 2100 but the motherboard is about
>>> $120 dearer. Any idea why that is?
>>>
>>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?845&ssid=

>>
>>The 4 core Phenom will kick an i3 into touch for performance and at
>>least match the equivalent priced i5. And the higher motherboard cost
>>is Intel charging plenty for the MB chipset. In short, if you want good
>>performance per dollar stick with AMD, if you want overall outright
>>horsepower then buy Intel[1]

>
>Which 4 core phenom are you referring to? As far as I can see, the
>Phenom 2 X4 840 isn't quite as good as the i3 2100.
>
>For a single threaded application, is the Phenom 2 X4 840 3.2 GHz any
>better than the Phenom 2 X2 560 3.3 GHz.
>
>At Ascent, the X4 840 is slightly cheaper than the X2 560. Which is
>better?



I don't know if they still sell them but DSE had a very Goodbuy, A Acer
box with a Quad Core Intel AMD Graphics card all for around $1000..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Possible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2011
On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:01:16 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 23/05/2011 8:29 p.m., Possible wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 May 2011 18:06:34 +1200, Peter Huebner<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>>> says...
>>>> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
>>>> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>>>>
>>>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
>>>> quality/ reliability.
>>>
>>> I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big stack of
>>> boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've installed over the last 5-6
>>> years have been good, reliable and stable with no peculiarities. I'd highly
>>> recommend the brand these days. They started out cheap and iffy, and they've
>>> made a big effort to become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd
>>> say they've met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
>>>
>>> -P.
>>>

>>
>>
>> Yes BDT Melco was or is the Agent here, these are the Mitsubishi agents

>
>And for a bonus point, what does BDT stand for?



I was also a brand name that Melco used on a Mitsubishi Tapes and VCR's


BLACK DIAMOND TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Possible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2011
On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:07:30 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 24/05/2011 1:14 a.m., nospam wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:01:16 +1200, EMB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On 23/05/2011 8:29 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>>> On Mon, 23 May 2011 18:06:34 +1200, Peter Huebner<(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, (E-Mail Removed)
>>>>> says...
>>>>>> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
>>>>>> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
>>>>>> quality/ reliability.
>>>>>
>>>>> I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big stack of
>>>>> boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've installed over the last 5-6
>>>>> years have been good, reliable and stable with no peculiarities. I'd highly
>>>>> recommend the brand these days. They started out cheap and iffy, and they've
>>>>> made a big effort to become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd
>>>>> say they've met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
>>>>>
>>>>> -P.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Yes BDT Melco was or is the Agent here, these are the Mitsubishi agents
>>>
>>> And for a bonus point, what does BDT stand for?

>>
>> http://www.bdt.co.nz/home/

>
>I know where their website is, and I have an account with them. I was
>just wondering if anyone else here (particularly Woger) actually knew
>what the initials stood for.




Yes but I am not a Dummy like you I have dealt with this company many
many times, so go wind your head in..

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:32:04 +1200, Peter Huebner
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> I have a 9 year old machine with an Intel motherboard and a 2 GHz
>>> Pentium 4 running Windows XP OEM. It's started having an
>>> intermittent problem when it boots up. It gets to the login screen
>>> but when I login it dies.
>>>
>>> Any ideas if it's possible to upgrade the motherboard in a 9 year
>>> old machine and if I did, will I be able to run my existing OEM
>>> Windows XP or will I have to buy a new operating system as well.

>>
>> Yes, can be done. You're looking at more than mobo - you'll need
>> mobo, psu, ram and cpu. If your old graphics card was agp you'll
>> need a new one of those as well, or get a mobo with integrated video
>> if you're not a gamer. They're pretty good for 'ordinary' use these
>> days.

>
> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>
> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>
> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
> quality/ reliability.


No comment on the system but the one and only time that I dealt with Dragon
PC they took my (customers) money for an item (graphics card) that they
couldn't supply, then, after a week or so gave only two options; Pay extra
and upgrade to the next item or get a refund in the form of a cheque
delivered snail mail.

The refund wasn't an option, it would have been 10 working days before the
funds were available again assuming they posted it that day and friend /
customer was waiting on the machine, everything else had arrived. He opted
to pay an extra 20% for a more expensive card. *Then*, after they had that
money, Dragon PC told us that the item wouldn't be available to be shipped
for two weeks!

After asking around other system builders I was told that Dragon PC were to
be avoided. The consensus was that they only ever got customers by
advertising cheap prices (and having them indexed via cost-comparator search
engines) then not being able to deliver after they've got the money and
"selling up".

My advice: Avoid Dragon PC at all costs (unless buying in person). There are
quite a few better suppliers who deliver what they advertise. They might not
have prices advertised as low as Dragon but at least you know that you'll
get what you pay for, in a timely manner. I recommend Ascent personally.

Best of luck,
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
>> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>>
>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>>
>> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
>> quality/ reliability.

>
> I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big
> stack of boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've
> installed over the last 5-6 years have been good, reliable and stable
> with no peculiarities. I'd highly recommend the brand these days.
> They started out cheap and iffy, and they've made a big effort to
> become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd say they've
> met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
>
> -P.


Yup. It's my opinion that you can't go wrong with Gigabyte and Asus,
preferably *not* their absolute cheapest models. They're the two 'top-tier'
mobo makers with MSI and Asrock being the next level down (but still largely
good).
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Huebner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
In article <irhpcm$k8n$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
>
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
> >> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
> >>
> >> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
> >>
> >> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
> >> quality/ reliability.

> >
> > I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big
> > stack of boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've
> > installed over the last 5-6 years have been good, reliable and stable
> > with no peculiarities. I'd highly recommend the brand these days.
> > They started out cheap and iffy, and they've made a big effort to
> > become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd say they've
> > met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
> >
> > -P.

>
> Yup. It's my opinion that you can't go wrong with Gigabyte and Asus,
> preferably *not* their absolute cheapest models. They're the two 'top-tier'
> mobo makers with MSI and Asrock being the next level down (but still largely
> good).



To call my latest Asus mobo 'finnicky' would be an understatement. It's a
P8P67LE. I had to go to great lengths to persuade it to boot of an ide drive
when there are sata devices present.

At times when I try to cold boot, it takes 5-10 tries of switching on and of
and hitting reset before the damn thing will actually start up and get to the
bios logo screen. It's easier not to shut it down ...
I am not hugely impressed with the bios on this turkey. Guess I'll be stuck
with it for the nect 2-4 years. I may try cloning the ide drive to a sata in a
little while.

Asus has a habit of turning out really bad mobos from time to time. My TX97 was
one such ... looks like I just managed to pick out yet another.

-P.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
wrote:

> To call my latest Asus mobo 'finnicky' would be an understatement. It's a
> P8P67LE.


B3 stepping?

I have a P8H67-MPRO bought just over a month ago (I’m using it now), works a
treat.
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:26:27 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one with
>>> AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>>>
>>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>>>
>>> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
>>> quality/ reliability.

>>
>> I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big
>> stack of boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've
>> installed over the last 5-6 years have been good, reliable and stable
>> with no peculiarities. I'd highly recommend the brand these days.
>> They started out cheap and iffy, and they've made a big effort to
>> become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd say they've
>> met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
>>
>> -P.

>
>Yup. It's my opinion that you can't go wrong with Gigabyte and Asus,
>preferably *not* their absolute cheapest models. They're the two 'top-tier'
>mobo makers with MSI and Asrock being the next level down (but still largely
>good).


The one I was planning to get is the cheapest - GA-MA78LMT-S2.
The next model up would probably be the GA-880GM-USB3 and is about $70
more. The S2 has what I need and I wouldn't have thought there'd be
any difference in quality??

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?213191
http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?199184

Why do they have Norton OEM bundled with them?

I was going with Dragon because I like the people in the shop and
they've been around for quite a while.

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:26:27 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>> In that case I think I'll get a whole new system, maybe this one
>>>> with AMD Phenom II, X2 and Windows 7
>>>>
>>>> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?810&ssid=
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas if the Gigabyte motherboard is a reasonable one regarding
>>>> quality/ reliability.
>>>
>>> I can't really comment on any specific ones (I've just burned a big
>>> stack of boxes), but in general, all the gigabyte mobos I've
>>> installed over the last 5-6 years have been good, reliable and
>>> stable with no peculiarities. I'd highly recommend the brand these
>>> days. They started out cheap and iffy, and they've made a big
>>> effort to become not quite so cheap and top notch reliable, and I'd
>>> say they've met with a great deal of success in that endeavour.
>>>
>>> -P.

>>
>> Yup. It's my opinion that you can't go wrong with Gigabyte and Asus,
>> preferably *not* their absolute cheapest models. They're the two
>> 'top-tier' mobo makers with MSI and Asrock being the next level down
>> (but still largely good).

>
> The one I was planning to get is the cheapest - GA-MA78LMT-S2.
> The next model up would probably be the GA-880GM-USB3 and is about $70
> more. The S2 has what I need and I wouldn't have thought there'd be
> any difference in quality??
>
> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?213191
> http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?199184


Gods! What gobbledygook they put on the specs page these days! Supports iPad
and Blu-ray, Home theatre and Hi-Def audio.... Does it give a back massage?

Look for solid capacitors in the CPU VRM with the more phases the better.
(The expensive one has more phases to the CPU = more stable vcore = better
overclocking or just better stability with high current CPUs. Can also make
up for inadequacies in the PSU to a small extent.)

Also the more expensive one has USB3, could be a must-have in a couple of
years....

> Why do they have Norton OEM bundled with them?


It's a sucker's game. Norton pay Dragon to bundle the trial version and if
one in ten people are silly enough to install it, believe the scare tactics
that Norton throw at them and fork out money it's win/win for them. Norton's
a bloated pig of a thing so the customer will likely spend more on hardware
upgrading their PC to run it smoothly... Which of course never happens.

> I was going with Dragon because I like the people in the shop and
> they've been around for quite a while.


Ahhh, OK, going into the shop might be a different experience to the one I
had (and ones I've heard about) involving internet orders.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2011
On 19/05/2011 8:17 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

>> And on that note if an old P4 is all the OP needs then an ex lease
>> machine from the likes of PB Tech won't be a lot over the $100 mark,
>> will have a Windows licence and at least some semblance of a warranty.

>
> Exactly. Hence my clearing out the left-overs from my last couple of
> re-builds from that era.
>
> Cheers,


Have bought whole SFF machiens with those specs (no HDD tho) for under
$20 so I can see why you would send the stuff off to get scrapped.

Check out trademe for some of the it recyclers - loads of dollar
reserves you can win with an initial bid of just $10-18 or so.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I import Office 2000 settings from old machine onto new machine running Office 2003? (re-post) Spin Computer Support 5 10-15-2007 07:15 PM
How can I import Office 2000 settings from old machine onto new machine running Office 2003? Spin Computer Support 0 10-11-2007 12:28 AM
Week of year to full Year Otuatail HTML 4 12-08-2003 07:50 PM



Advertisments