Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Old is new again?

Re: Old is new again?

Bruce

"K W Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have over 400 35mm SLR bodies and over 600 lenses for them. I use all of
>them in rotation. I sometimes shoot B&W, but usually color because of the
>ease in locating film. I process & print the film in my (wet) darkroom.
>Most of the young people who have seen me using this equipment either
>question that film is still available, or they want to check the display on
>the back of the camera and are amazed that there is no screen.

Wow! 600 lenses ...

Do you take any special measures to prevent fungus attacking your
lenses? Or are you fortunate enough to live in an area where the
humidity is low?

Rol_Lei Nut

On 5/18/2011 4:02, Paul Furman wrote:

> I think he understood that 8mm format is half of 16mm format, which is
> half of 35mm format. I dunno if there are any decent 8mm movie lenses
> though...

While 8mm (single 8, that is) is a 16mm film cut in half, 16mm is *not*
half of 35mm.

There were some excellent lenses made for the 8mm format, by Kern
(Paillard) and Angenieux, just to mention two makers which come to mind.

Used on micro 4/3 cameras, some lenses made for 16mm will cover the
format (especially teles), while many others will vignette or form
circular images.
Lenses designed to cover the 8mm format would definitely not cover the
4/3 frame, unless used for close-up/macro work.

PeterN

On 5/17/2011 10:44 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> PeterN wrote:

>>> ROFLMAO
>>> You sure know a lot about photography.
>>> An 8mm Bolex is camera that uses 8mm movie film. It is not a lens

>> I think he understood that 8mm format is half of 16mm format, which is
>> half of 35mm format. I dunno if there are any decent 8mm movie lenses
>> though...

> Example:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyoptic/5713834753/

Nice effects. That is a nice use for that lens

--
Peter

newshound

"Peter Chant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
>> K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.
>>

> I'll have to get a replacement battery and get my Electro out. Why anyone
> bothers with toy cameras (Lomo etc) when there are excellent bits of older
> kit I don't know.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Wow that takes me back. I had an Electro 35cc, what a great camera that was,
in its day. If only it had had a wider ASA setting, to let you correct for
reciprocity failure when using Kodachrome II in low light. (Kodachrome 25
was a real step backwards).

newshound

>> Wow that takes me back. I had an Electro 35cc, what a great camera that
>> was, in its day. If only it had had a wider ASA setting, to let you
>> correct for reciprocity failure when using Kodachrome II in low light.
>> (Kodachrome 25 was a real step backwards).

> Mine is the Electro35G GT;
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...tro35-0360.jpg >
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Nice.

I *always* fancied one of those with the faster lens and longer max
exposure, but decided in the end to go for the cheaper and more compact 35cc
(I also had a reflex habit to support in those days). But the 35cc was the
most useful general purpose camera I ever owned, until I got an Ixus 850 is
(which provides macro, zoom, and an extra two stops via the image
stabiliser). In fact I still use the Ixus far more than the G10, even though
it does look like a hairdresser's camera.

Steve

So you think PythonCard is old? Here's new wine in an old bottle. John Henry Python 24 05-30-2008 12:00 AM
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments