Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Nslookup

Reply
Thread Tools

Nslookup

 
 
Bill B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 5/17/2011 8:30 AM, Bill B wrote:
>> On 5/17/2011 8:18 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>> On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
>>>> On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>>> On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
>>>>>> On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>>>>> On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
>>>>>>>> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but
>>>>>>>>>>> how do
>>>>>>>>>>> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
>>>>>>>>>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation
>>>>>>>>>> with C++,
>>>>>>>>>> php, or java [sic].
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues
>>>>>>>>> as a
>>>>>>>>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a
>>>>>>>>> vacuum where
>>>>>>>>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I
>>>>>>>> knew
>>>>>>>> my baker
>>>>>>>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's
>>>>>>> charter,
>>>>>>> either -
>>>>>>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can
>>>>>>> ask
>>>>>>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
>>>>>>> each for
>>>>>>> their specific topic(s).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
>>>>>> guy?
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
>>>>> monitor c.l.j very much.
>>>>
>>>> Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
>>>>
>>>> Bill B
>>>
>>> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
>>> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

>>
>> A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
>> time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
>> Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
>> Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.
>>
>> Bill B

>
> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.


Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
people think well of you when you bully others?

Bill B
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Natural Philosopher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
Bill B wrote:
> On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:


>> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
>> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

>
> Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
> people think well of you when you bully others?
>

As long has is amour propre is satisfied, I don't think Jerry cares.
He can maintain the fiction to himself that he is relevant, knows
something, and is a person to be reckoned with.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jerry Stuckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
On 5/17/2011 11:10 AM, Bill B wrote:
> On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> On 5/17/2011 8:30 AM, Bill B wrote:
>>> On 5/17/2011 8:18 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>> On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
>>>>> On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>>>> On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
>>>>>>> On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>>>>>> On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
>>>>>>>>> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but
>>>>>>>>>>>> how do
>>>>>>>>>>>> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
>>>>>>>>>>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation
>>>>>>>>>>> with C++,
>>>>>>>>>>> php, or java [sic].
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues
>>>>>>>>>> as a
>>>>>>>>>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a
>>>>>>>>>> vacuum where
>>>>>>>>>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I
>>>>>>>>> knew
>>>>>>>>> my baker
>>>>>>>>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's
>>>>>>>> charter,
>>>>>>>> either -
>>>>>>>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can
>>>>>>>> ask
>>>>>>>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of
>>>>>>>> newsgroups,
>>>>>>>> each for
>>>>>>>> their specific topic(s).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
>>>>>>> guy?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
>>>>>> monitor c.l.j very much.
>>>>>
>>>>> Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill B
>>>>
>>>> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
>>>> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.
>>>
>>> A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
>>> time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
>>> Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
>>> Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.
>>>
>>> Bill B

>>
>> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
>> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

>
> Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
> people think well of you when you bully others?
>
> Bill B


Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
==================
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry Stuckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
On 5/17/2011 9:07 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>> Lew wrote:
>>>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
>>>> guy?

>>
>>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
>>> monitor
>>> c.l.j very much.

>>
>> Nobody misses you. Plonk.
>>

> Indeed. Jerry is a nothing guy really.


Ah yes, the anonymous troll who won't use his right name because he's so
afraid someone will find out he's neither a programmer nor the engineer
he claims to be. Just an out-of-work ditch digger who got fired because
he didn't know which end of the shovel to use.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(E-Mail Removed)
==================
 
Reply With Quote
 
RedGrittyBrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
On 17/05/2011 08:09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<(E-Mail Removed) >, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:50:57 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
>> someone who said :
>>
>>> People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
>>> that to what DNS servers you use?

>>
>> The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
>> question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
>> to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
>> ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
>> that server and waste the power of the other two.

>
> What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?


He is talking about DNS servers (though the core point has more general
applicability)

Also, DNS servers cache results. When an ISP provides DNS servers and
customers use them, this results in faster service to customers and
reduced upstream DNS traffic.

--
RGB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Streater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2011
In article <iqu7t7$u4p$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jerry Stuckle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 5/17/2011 11:10 AM, Bill B wrote:
> > On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >> On 5/17/2011 8:30 AM, Bill B wrote:
> >>> On 5/17/2011 8:18 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >>>> On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
> >>>>> On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >>>>>> On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
> >>>>>>> On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >>>>>>>> On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
> >>>>>>>>> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...


Ah, it's the can't snip won't snip ****ers again.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2011
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andreas Leitgeb
wrote:

> Now, whether a user decides to use the DNS offered by his ISP, or a
> different one is not Roedy's business.


My point exactly.

> Finally, it is sometimes worthwhile to ask a particular non-default DNS
> for a particular hostname without temporarily reconfiguring the system for
> that particular DNS ...


Essential for testing purposes, given how easy it is to stuff up BIND
configs, for example.

--
Lawrence “Been There, Done The Tech Support” D’Oliveiro
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2011
On 05/18/2011 04:38 AM, bugbear wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>
>> Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
>> seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how
>> to answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least
>> among us practical-minded folk.
>>

>
> One might wonder why the comp hierarchy is split at all, following your "logic"


I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers. I
believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
insufficiently helpful. Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help. That would be such a
character flaw and earn a person a degree of contempt.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../c/cf/Friz.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Doubez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2011
On 18 mai, 19:13, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 05/18/2011 04:38 AM, bugbear wrote:
>
> > Lew wrote:

>
> >> Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
> >> seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how
> >> to answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least
> >> among us practical-minded folk.

>
> > One might wonder why the comp hierarchy is split at all, following your"logic"

>
> I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers. *I
> believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
> insufficiently helpful. *Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
> enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help. *


Argumentum ad misericordiam

The reason why the people here are so helpful and the group is still
alive is because some people do care enough to keep the discussions on
topic.

If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.
You would then have to ask elsewhere, which is exactely what the OP is
invited to do.

--
Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2011
Michael Doubez wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> bugbear wrote:
>>> Lew wrote:
>>>> Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
>>>> seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how
>>>> to answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least
>>>> among us practical-minded folk.

>>
>>> One might wonder why the comp hierarchy is split at all, following your "logic"

>>
>> I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers. I
>> believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
>> insufficiently helpful. Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
>> enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help.

>
> Argumentum ad misericordiam


Misidentification of fallacy. I'd already made the point that it's relevant
to one of the groups to which the OP posted, namely clj.programmer. The
"programmer" part of that means that it's not about the language as such, but
the skills needed to use it effectively. I had argued that the question is
relevant there. The appeal to sympathy is to show that the line was being
drawn arbitrarily fine. Nowhere am I suggesting that the discussion veer from
the subject of the newsgroup, I only suggest that people not be such
namby-pamby nitpickers and be so doggedly exclusionary.

So while you show off your Latin quite nicely, it's irrelevant.

> The reason why the people here are so helpful and the group is still
> alive is because some people do care enough to keep the discussions on
> topic.


I don't know where your "here" is, but in this thread I'm arguing against the
people who are NOT being "so helpful".

> If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
> because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.
> You would then have to ask elsewhere, which is exactely what the OP is
> invited to do.


And also the OP is being invited EXACTLY to continue to post "here" for one
value of "here". You unsympathetic so-and-so. (Ad hominem - in case you want
to show off more Latin.)

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../c/cf/Friz.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nslookup gary MCSE 5 09-10-2008 08:25 AM
Vista RC2 - Unable to resolve Internet Names in IE but NSlookup works!! Martin NZ Computing 8 10-13-2006 04:49 AM
gethostbyaddr/nslookup failed kcw3388@hotmail.com C Programming 1 07-27-2005 02:07 AM
dns/nslookup not working Kevin Phelan Computer Support 1 12-07-2004 07:00 PM
NSLOOKUP Franco Fign ASP .Net 1 08-04-2004 11:30 PM



Advertisments