Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Nslookup

Nslookup

Joe Snodgrass

Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Fred Zwarts

"Joe Snodgrass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
php, or java.
nslookup is deprecated. Use dig.
Lookup ns records to find DNS servers.

The Natural Philosopher

Joe Snodgrass wrote:
> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

that's news to me..

Nslookup is a program that allows you to query many servers, yes. But
they never become 'your dns servsr'

To change that you need to reconfigure the resolver.

but how do
> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Look on ISP's web sites etc.
Follow the root servers down to something auhiritavve for some local domains

Look up a domain and see what its name server is.

red floyd

On May 16, 10:22*am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>
> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
>
> >> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
> >> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

> > Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
> > php, or java [sic].

> Really? *You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
> programmer? *Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
my baker
drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

Lew

On 05/16/2011 07:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>>
>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

>>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
>>> php, or java [sic].

>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
>>

> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
> my baker
> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

A poetic or self-evaluatedly clever riposte is fairly useless if it doesn't
somehow embody a relevant point. We aren't asking a baker about internal
combustion engines' function, we're asking a baker if they have
recommendations for a good oven.

If you fancy yourself a professional programmer, you had better have some
understanding of how to get your program to run in the real world. Nor clever
(as you think) retorts, nor labored and inapplicable analogies will save your
software. Knowing how to set a DNS server might. The question is entirely on
topic for clj.programmer. (Note the emphasis on programmer - it's for people
who want results, not fanboys for labored or spaghetti languages.)

Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how to
answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least among us
practical-minded folk.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Jerry Stuckle

On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>>
>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

>>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
>>> php, or java [sic].

>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
>>

> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
> my baker
> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
either - and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.

Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
each for their specific topic(s).

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Lew

On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
>> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
>>>
>>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

>>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
>>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
>>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
>>>

>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
>> my baker
>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
>>

> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter, either -
> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
>
> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups, each for
> their specific topic(s).

Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Jerry Stuckle

On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
>>> my baker
>>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
>>>

>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
>> either -
>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
>>
>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
>> each for
>> their specific topic(s).

> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
monitor c.l.j very much.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(E-Mail Removed)
==================

Lew

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't monitor
> c.l.j very much.

Nobody misses you. Plonk.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Bill B

On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:

>>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
>>> either -
>>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
>>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
>>> each for
>>> their specific topic(s).

>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?
>>

> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
> monitor c.l.j very much.

Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.

Bill B

nslookup gary MCSE 5 09-10-2008 08:25 AM
Vista RC2 - Unable to resolve Internet Names in IE but NSlookup works!! Martin NZ Computing 8 10-13-2006 04:49 AM
gethostbyaddr/nslookup failed kcw3388@hotmail.com C Programming 1 07-27-2005 02:07 AM
dns/nslookup not working Kevin Phelan Computer Support 1 12-07-2004 07:00 PM
NSLOOKUP Franco Figún ASP .Net 1 08-04-2004 11:30 PM

Advertisments