Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Seeking a concise Canon CHDK (Firmware hack) site?

Re: Seeking a concise Canon CHDK (Firmware hack) site?

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Doug Bashford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Re: Seeking a concise Canon CHDK (Firmware hack) site?;
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 18:08:52 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
> wrote:
>

>> SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > It takes time to maintain documentation, and few people will do it for free.

> Hogwash. Wikipedia proves that.

Wikipedia is documentation, CHDK is a camera and the Earth is a disk.

> A thousand popular freewares prove that.

Name 100 which run on at least half as many different platforms
as CHDK and offer at least half the features CHDK offers.

> The exceptions are one-man
> operations such as Irfanview, yet even there one
> can zap in and get it within minutes.

Irfanview isn't complicated, CHDK is.

>> Doug B. just volunteered.

> Ha. As noted, I can't even register to log on to
> setepontos.

The wiki is at
http://chdk.wikia.com
and needs no registering.

> By now they owe me ~6 verify reg emails.

Look into your spam folder. Or try entering your real email
address.

> Normally I *NEVER* register, **** that intrusive ****.

Verifying emails aren't intrusive.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Doug Bashford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > It takes time to maintain documentation, and few people will do it for free.

>> Doug B. just volunteered. > -Wolfgang

> As I said above;
> I can't help

Why?

> but think that the pages of obsolete
> material are there for more than apathetic
> neglect, but for a feeling, or tradition, or
> some such that I can't put my finger on.

More doing, less talking.

> Fix that feeling, install the Wikipedia attitude there,
> problem solved.

Sure, reverse gravity and we can walk to the moon.

> What's odd here is that nobody here has denied the
> mess, yet everybody acts like (ironically) that's not a
> problem, or that's inevitable, or that's normal.

Well, maybe it is, and you are just creating problems where
none are.

> ...as if it has no cause, or the problem is intractable.
> ...or that since I dare to notice, *I*, me a newbie,
> should fix it!

I am not bothered by it, so why should *I* fix it, or even care?

> With THAT kind of attitude how could there *NOT* be that
> problem? Yes, the problem is failure to take
> responsibility, duh, it's time to stop the fingerpointing
> and for YOU the experts to do some entropy repair.

You, Doug, are an idiot. How come *we* are to be CHDK experts and
how come *we* have to pre-chew and pre-digest everything for you?

You're shirking all your responsibilities, but you dare telling us
ours? Isn't that a case of the pot calling the polar bear black?

> Let's talk fixing.

Let's see you *do* fixing. Talking is cheap.

> Page after page I'm told

At the top of the Wiki you are told your camera isn't supported.
It's in Beta. If you cannot deal with that, get the **** out of
the steam.

[Doug being too stupid to deal with a forum]

> So the solution is a surgical bulldozer!!?? Mass,
> pinpoint deletion?

> Or is it reorganization?

No, it's you starting to learn how to deal with a forum.

http://chdk.wikia.com

> There's a zillion possibilities. But that's
> what we called in the military: a command
> decision. Who's in charge?

Again, you don't understand, grasshopper.
Even though you have been told.

I think you are trolling.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Doug Bashford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>> The observed behaviour of camera manufacturers is that they are
>> not in the least positive towards CHDK (though not hostile enough
>> to make CHDK completely impossible), nor do they seem inclined to
>> add features like motion detection, scripting et al to their new
>> cameras.

> Yup. It's the microsoft definition of KISS:
> Keep It comicbook Simple for Stupid. That's us.

That may be you, but it's certainly not me.

> While the market has proven that MS KISS works,
> CHDK fills a void, a nich market. But in my opinion,
> that market can be widely expanded at little cost,
> I think it must be shrinking now due to sloppy,
> undisciplined, aimlessly wandering haphazard documentation.

You are not talking about
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual
but about a forum for a certain beta software.

>> [2] Our analog-signal TV harddisk recorder has the tendency to stop
>> receiving when you switch channels and with a recording time
>> (advertized) of up to 400 hours, has only *8* slots for timer
>> recordings. Yes, you can do weekly repeats and Mo-Fr repeats
>> --- but you cannot give a name to the recordings before they
>> are recorded and naming recordings is a major PITA due to the
>> interface (switch through the whole alphabet letter by letter,
>> digit by digit, special char by special char (you can switch
>> between upper and lower case though) --- and don't press the
>> buttons on the remote control too fast. Never heard of an
>> on-screen keyboard, have they?) No chance for me to fix that
>> issue, even if I had all the time in the world.

> Manf' HATE buttons, yup?

It's not a case of buttons, it's a case of stupid use cases and
usability. Immediately an onscreen keyboard with cursors and/or
T9 comes to mind.

-Wolfgang

John Turco

Walter Banks wrote:

> > Bruce wrote:
> >
> > If you cannot see the significant difference between (1) a collaborative
> > non-profit venture that delivers great benefits but no disbenefits to
> > anyone

> Except Canon.
>
> > and (2) a commercial organisation that blatantly flouts intellectual
> > property laws to make a fast buck (or millions of them) then you are
> > beyond help. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

> The assumption in your argument is the only harm is financial then
> judge on that basis and then ignore the fiscal harm to Canon when
> it inconveniently gets in the way.
>
> Many parts of the CHDK that is downloaded is a copyright violation
> of Canon's IP rights. You are missing the ethics issues.
>
> w..

The word "ethics" has never been part of "Bruce's" extremely limited
vocabulary. He's just a conniving camera-hawker, with no respect for
"intellectual property" rights.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>