Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poor Olympus...dwindling

Poor Olympus...dwindling

RichA

Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
them fade like this.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

The Henchman

Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL. I'm assuming you went
because you got the free tickets like everyone else?

RichA

On May 14, 10:28*pm, "The Henchman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL. *I'm assuming you went
> because you got the free tickets like everyone else?

Another identity, P&S'er? How many have you got?

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
>an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
>tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
>dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
>SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
>can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
>them fade like this.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?

Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
any significant increases in sales. But we are just a tiny speck on
the map compared to Henry's.

Bruce

>On 2011-05-15 03:23:14 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
>>> an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
>>> tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
>>> dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
>>> SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
>>> can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
>>> them fade like this.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

>> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
>> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?
>>
>> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
>> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
>> any significant increases in sales. But we are just a tiny speck on
>> the map compared to Henry's.

>...and they certainly attracted Canada's most notorious cyber, pixel
>peeping, ring twirling, button pusher.

I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare.

The Henchman

"RichA" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On May 14, 10:28 pm, "The Henchman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL. I'm assuming you went
> because you got the free tickets like everyone else?

Another identity, P&S'er? How many have you got?

--------------------

No idea what you're talking about brother....

RichA

On May 15, 6:23*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
> >an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. *Horrible! *They used to have
> >tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. *Now they've
> >dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
> >SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
> >can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. *Sad to see
> >them fade like this.

> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?
>
> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
> any significant increases in sales. *But we are just a tiny speck on
> the map compared to Henry's.

Companies can just fold up shop and ship off internet sites from
warehouses, but mostly I'll buy from some place that has stock to see
and I seldom buy without having ever seen a product in person. But
people living in areas without shops have little choice. I think it
may not increase your sales but it does definitely allow people to
compare mfg's different offerings.

RichA

On May 15, 1:11*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
> >> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?

> >> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
> >> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
> >> any significant increases in sales. *But we are just a tiny speck on
> >> the map compared to Henry's.

> >...and they certainly attracted Canada's most notorious cyber, pixel
> >peeping, ring twirling, button pusher.

> I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
> you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare. *

To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
people seem to like best.

RichA

On May 16, 9:22*am, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/15/11 9:14 PM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "RichA"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
> >> you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare. *

> > To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. *That's about
> > the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
> > people seem to like best.

> Let me get this straight: You say that you have spent about $8K annually on
> camera equipment?
>
> WHY?!?

Because it's there.

> You never seem to have time to use such stuff, you are in here - bitching,
> ALL THE TIME!

I have lots of time to use it, and I do. The fact I CAN criticize
equipment is because I DO use it. Unlike the review sites which have
equipment sometimes for MONTHS and often miss critical things
concerning that equipment.

The Henchman

To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
people seem to like best.

AH YES. Everyone is a big spender on the internet. Of coarse with a photo
equipment budget like that I'm sure your property taxes are what $9 000 a
year? What's your mortgage about $5 000 a month? I'm assuming you've saved
about $60 000 for your child's education? How's that BMW you are driving.
those 535i's are sure nice. Because if you are spending about $ 8 or $9 000
a year on cameras then you do have a $200 000 a year job.

Not a single person here believes you've spent $40 000 on cameras the last 5
years and if you have you are the worst photographer known to the industry.