Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Noons

On May 25, 2:45*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

> If it were "faith-based reverence", why has the entire
> world shifted in the direction that Shannon *proved

I was not talking about the entire world, that is your specialty.
I was talking about your specific case.

> And the payoffs have have been tremendous. *As noted,
> the entire audio recording industry, almost the entire
> video and photography industries, and certainly the
> entire telecommunications industry are all now solidly
> digital.

What's that got to do with amateur, individual use of anything for
artistic purposes? Since when has art been an industry?
When are you gonna realize that "industry" is not a synonym for
"individual"?

I couldn't care less what the "entire industry" is doing, totally
irrelevant to me.
And no: "big" is not a synonym for "good".

> They did that for something that is not superior? *Not
> special? *And only because of the group dynamics of
> marketing? *That's daft!

What is daft is your conviction that what the "entire industry" does
is what each individual must do.

Noons

On May 25, 8:32*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> FAT-32 on up to 4TB?
>
> Come on, you got to be joking.

Dunno, it's what Windows XP does.

Noons

On May 25, 9:28*pm, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 25, 11:32*am, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 24 May 2011 19:47:12 -0700 (PDT), Noons <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >I'm finding the USB drives enough at the moment. *Up to 4TB in quitea
> > >few of them, multiple backups to be on the safe side, and growing.
> > >I've essentially given up on getting my old Syquest backups back:
> > >fortunately, I didn't have any of my images there...
> > >Now, if USB drives suddenly disappear and the FAT-32 file system
> > >becomes unreadable, I'll be in trouble!...

> > FAT-32 on up to 4TB?

> > Come on, you got to be joking.

> I assumed it was a typo and should have been 4GB

No. The size of the disks in total is 4TB.
Of course, I don't have single images of 4TB size.
Yet...

Noons

On May 25, 10:49*pm, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yep, most backups don;t use punched cards any more either.
> Sometimes you have to use the latest techniques even if the product
> doesn't
> last. We could always go back to etching things in stone I guess.

Hey! I still got my first Fortran program in punched cards somewhere
in the garage!

Noons

On May 26, 1:49*am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have one of those IDE adapters from maplin I brought a while ago.
> I also have a enclosure with a SCSI cable on the back and a ribbon
> cable I made
> so I can but ye olde SCSI drives in that. Those Apple used in the LC
> series of which
> I have a few 40MB drives, strange thinking I'd be lucky to hold ONE
> RAW image on that drive
> nowerdays .

I do distinctly recall seeing a usb-to-scsi adapter not too long ago.
Any experiences with those?
Still got a couple of SCSI drives that I need to read at some stage to
get my archived posts from the OS2 days...

Noons

On May 26, 3:50*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U2NVSPATAKIT/>

Wow! That's useful!
Thanx.

K W Hart

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 25, 1:31 pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > I'm finding the USB drives enough at the moment. Up to 4TB in quite a
>> > few of them, multiple backups to be on the safe side, and growing.
>> > I've essentially given up on getting my old Syquest backups back:
>> > fortunately, I didn't have any of my images there...
>> > Now, if USB drives suddenly disappear and the FAT-32 file system
>> > becomes unreadable, I'll be in trouble!...

>> Me too. the only answer I can think of is keeping up with changes in
>> technology.
>> In technology, the old saying "snoozers are losers," is especially true.

> Yep, most backups don;t use punched cards any more either.
> Sometimes you have to use the latest techniques even if the product
> doesn't
> last. We could always go back to etching things in stone I guess.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> How about paper tape?
>
> http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/135006726/large
>
> --
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Looks familiar. I received my earliest computer training on the DEC PDP-8. I
think I still have a few paper tapes somewhere.

Andrew Reilly

On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:20:21 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

> Note that a USB drive is an SATA drive with an adapter. You can often
> just pull the drive out of the box and install it in a machine using the
> SATA interface and read it.

Often, but not always entirely satisfactorily, as I discovered a year or
so ago:

It turns out that the USB DISK profile defines a high-ish level interface
that is derived from SCSI, while SATA is (not unexpectedly) derived from
ATA. So they both describe a bucket of sectors, and that's good, but
SATA exposes the hard drive's own notion of "geometry", while (at least
on the USB cradle I was using) the USB device driver made one up, because
SCSI doesn't care about geometry. The upshot of that was that the disk
ended up being formatted *slightly* differently than an identical drive
that was formatted directly in the target machine. Formatted size
differed by a megabyte or so, which corresponded to the difference in
size of the last "faked" cylinder and the last "real" cylinder.

So, whether or not that sort of thing shows up often, I don't know.
Whether or not it has any practical effect on the ability of the computer
to use the information on the disk drive probably depends a lot on the
computer and the disk format. I was using FreeBSD and UFS2. Your milage
may vary if you are using FAT32 or NTFS or HFS+ or EXT3 or whatever...
Probably depends on the specific details of the USB cradle firmware too.

Cheers,

--
Andrew

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> All photographs must be digitized for digital work flows.

it's best to do it in the camera rather than scan film.

> And they must all
> eventually be converted back to analog, too. The endpoints of the work flow
> are always analog, because they are always physical and tangible.

my display is digital.

Andrew Reilly

On Wed, 25 May 2011 20:44:49 -0700, nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> All photographs must be digitized for digital work flows.

> it's best to do it in the camera rather than scan film.

Possibly, but it works both ways.

>> And they must all
>> eventually be converted back to analog, too. The endpoints of the work
>> flow are always analog, because they are always physical and tangible.

> my display is digital.

It doesn't emit tri-colour or bandpass filtered light with intensity
proportional to the nominated level? LCD or plasma displays might have
an awful *lot* of D/A converters (usually pwm, but there are variations)
compared to other analog output mechanisms (one per pixel), but the light
that makes the picture is just as analog as the speaker movement that
allows you to hear your CD or iPod.

Cheers,

--
Andrew