Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > how to install easy_install

how to install easy_install

rusi

I tried to install easy_install (This is on windows)
I downloaded the executable and ran it. It claimed to have done its
job.

But now when I type easy_install at a cmd prompt I get
easy_install is not a command...

[I guess I am a perennial noob to windows, never being able to
comprehend the PATH lookup logic (or lack of it)]

Another related question: I gather that easy_install is being
superseded by pypi or some such but I cant find the link...

Ian Kelly

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM, rusi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I tried to install easy_install (This is on windows)
> I downloaded the executable and ran it. It claimed to have done its
> job.
>
> But now when I type easy_install at a cmd prompt I get
> easy_install is not a command...
>
> [I guess I am a perennial noob to windows, never being able to
> comprehend the PATH lookup logic (or lack of it)]
>
> Another related question: I gather that easy_install is being
> superseded by pypi or some such but I cant find the link...

easy_install is part of the setuptools or distribute package. I
assume that one of these is what you installed.

On Windows, the easy_install command is installed into your Python
Scripts directory, which should be something like
"C:\Python27\Tools\Scripts" or "C:\Python25\Scripts" depending on your
Python version. You just need to find that directory and add it to
your PATH.

PyPI is the Python package index. It's a website at
http://pypi.python.org/ -- not a replacement for setuptools or
easy_install, which uses it to look up package metadata. Setuptools
is supposed to be superseded by distribute, which may be what you
heard.

HTH,
Ian

TheSaint

rusi wrote:

> tried to install easy_install (This is on windows)
> I downloaded the executable and ran it. It claimed to have done its
> job.

Perhaps, the abit to just click is disordering some easy steps like copy the
script files into the normal place.
Only when there's a particular copy then it's the time to pay attention,
like some executable and/or framework.
In the README.txt should mention these few easy steps

--
goto /dev/null