Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Emacs VHDL mode with CTAGS / etags

Emacs VHDL mode with CTAGS / etags

Philippe

Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
VHDL? I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...

http://www.sigasi.com/content/naviga...macs-vs-sigasi

have a nice weekend!

--
Philippe
Sigasi

Paul Uiterlinden

Philippe wrote:

> Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
> VHDL?

Yes, I use vtags in combination with Nedit or Vim.

I got vtags from
http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hambu...l/tools/vtags/, but it seems
not to be accessible from there anymore.

> I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
> regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...

Still, it is simple to use and adequate in a lot of cases. And it's free.

--
Paul Uiterlinden
www.aimvalley.nl

hhanff

On 13 Mai, 18:12, Paul Uiterlinden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Philippe wrote:
> > Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
> > VHDL?

I just discovered etags a few weeks ago.
Currently I'm working on C code and it really eases the analysis of
foreign code.
Honestly: etags is one of the most important emacs features that I
discovered in the last years I would say.

I'm already looking forward to the next VHDL project where I can give
etags a try...

hhanff

> Yes, I use vtags in combination with Nedit or Vim.
>
> I got vtags fromhttp://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/tools/vtags/, but it seems
> not to be accessible from there anymore.
>
> > I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
> > regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...

> Still, it is simple to use and adequate in a lot of cases. And it's free.
>
> --
> Paul Uiterlindenwww.aimvalley.nl
> e-mail addres: remove the not.

NeedCleverHandle

On May 13, 7:32*am, Philippe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
> VHDL? I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
> regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...
>
> http://www.sigasi.com/content/naviga...roject-emacs-v...
>
> have a nice weekend!
>
> --
> Philippe