Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Microsoft buy Skype

Microsoft buy Skype

alexd

eBay's purchase price was jaw-dropping enough, but WTF? Beats giving money
back to shareholders, I suppose!

Perhaps they're going to use this as a lever to favour their own mobile
platform, but I would have thought as soon as they try and play a trick like
that, it'll have more of an effect on Skype's userbase than WinMoPho's.

Or perhaps Skype will be the next MySpace.

22:34:31 up 4 days, 2:33, 6 users, load average: 0.08, 0.12, 0.20
"People believe any quote they read on the internet
if it fits their preconceived notions." - Martin Luther King

Theo Markettos

alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> eBay's purchase price was jaw-dropping enough, but WTF? Beats giving money
> back to shareholders, I suppose!

There's some interesting analysis here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05...t_buys_skype1/

I can see that making a 'business' version of Skype with decent QoS and
integrated into Office might be a potentially attractive proposition (to
people who already run Office).

> Perhaps they're going to use this as a lever to favour their own mobile
> platform, but I would have thought as soon as they try and play a trick
> like that, it'll have more of an effect on Skype's userbase than
> WinMoPho's.

They claim not, but we've been here before (anyone still running IE for
Mac?).

> Or perhaps Skype will be the next MySpace.

Does feel a bit that way... I thought eBay overpaid, but this price seems
even more crazy. Some VCs seem to have turned a $2.75bn company into an
$8.5bn company in 2 years. Nice work if you can get it. Looks like there's
a tech bubble on the horizon... companies selling at 32x earnings:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2e142854-7...#axzz1LtCJH6ph

But Microsoft is probably a more useful owner than eBay.

Theo