Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hello. . .

Hello. . .

Charlie Russel-MVP

Blog has moved. Old blog should have stayed in place, but quiet. Frankly, I
just wanted to get over to a more standardized platform, and Susan (SBS
Diva) had already decided to start new blogs over on a WordPress platform
for compatibility reasons.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 11, 3:13 pm, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What happened to put us here on google for you, but eternal-september for
> most of us, is that Microsoft closed ALL their newsgroups and took down
> their NNTP server completely. Everyone is supposed to move to "forums".
> Only
> no one did. The fora are completely without community, and there was no
> place for this community to go at all. When MS closed their NNTP, most
> ISPs
> dropped their NNTP feed for microsoft newsgroups, since the originator was
> news.microsoft.com. (and a fair number of ISPs dropped NNTP entirely.) But
> the group continues to exist on those news servers that are out there, and
> most of us have found the news servers at eternal-september to be a good
> choice. Free, but you need to register an account. Spam hasn't been too
> bad,
> except for one bozo who thinks his "tips" will somehow build his site. We
> ignore him.
>
> Sadly, with it being so difficult to find us, there isn't much traffic
> except the old regulars. So we're very glad to have you back.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

I believe what you're saying explains a lot of those frowns I've had
over this, Charlie. I knew a bit about yours, and Carlo's habits,
though, so what I think really threw me was that when I tried looking
up your blog from the MS Forums pages, I was told it had been closed
down. I thought "WTF?". And then realized the true difficulties,
because at this point you are really not thinking very straight any
more. More like a wasp trapped on the inside of your window.

Tony. . .

Tony

On May 14, 8:41*pm, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Blog has moved. Old blog should have stayed in place, but quiet. Frankly,I
> just wanted to get over to a more standardized platform, and Susan (SBS
> Diva) had already decided to start new blogs over on a WordPress platform
> for compatibility reasons.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel
>
> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 11, 3:13 pm, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What happened to put us here on google for you, but eternal-september for
> > most of us, is that Microsoft closed ALL their newsgroups and took down
> > their NNTP server completely. Everyone is supposed to move to "forums".
> > Only
> > no one did. The fora are completely without community, and there was no
> > place for this community to go at all. When MS closed their NNTP, most
> > ISPs
> > dropped their NNTP feed for microsoft newsgroups, since the originator was
> > news.microsoft.com. (and a fair number of ISPs dropped NNTP entirely.) But
> > the group continues to exist on those news servers that are out there, and
> > most of us have found the news servers at eternal-september to be a good
> > choice. Free, but you need to register an account. Spam hasn't been too
> > bad,
> > except for one bozo who thinks his "tips" will somehow build his site. We
> > ignore him.

> > Sadly, with it being so difficult to find us, there isn't much traffic
> > except the old regulars. So we're very glad to have you back.

> > --
> > Charlie.http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

> I believe what you're saying explains a lot of those frowns I've had
> over this, Charlie. I knew a bit about yours, and Carlo's habits,
> though, so what I think really threw me was that when I tried looking
> up your blog from the MS Forums pages, I was told it had been closed
> down. I thought "WTF?". And then realized the true difficulties,
> because at this point you are really not thinking very straight any
> more. More like a wasp trapped on the inside of your window.
>
> Tony. . .- Hide quoted text -

I see, probably just as well since the community had more or less
scattered anyway, and staying would mean that your public might start
depending more on your own presence not changing too much. . .who
knows?

I was,perhaps, a special case now, and definitely felt the carpet
moving under me. And the i-net suddenly a lonelier place;0)

Tony. . .

barb bowman

I will have to figure out why your blog 404's with a capital R in your name
while http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel works.

On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:41:48 -0700, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Charlie.
>http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Charlie Russel-MVP

Yes, that's wrong. Should be case insensitive.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

"barb bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will have to figure out why your blog 404's with a capital R in your name
> while http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel works.
>
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:41:48 -0700, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Charlie.
>>http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

John Turco

Tony wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> Of course - modern Scandinavian derives from Early Icelandic and I
> have no idea what those examples would have developed into today.

<edited>

Huh? I thought that Iceland was founded by Scandinavian settlers,
and therefore, >its< language "derives" from >theirs<.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Tony wrote:

> > On May 12, 5:54 pm, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps it's not so surprising when you consider the Vikings used
> > to raid us with monotonous regularity

<edited>

> Monotonous. . .indeed! That IS a good one - I cannot stop larfing.
>
> All the same, I do find it interesting how, as the Romans did much the
> same thing to you poor bastards, they where the ones who left their
> imprint in the landscape. Like Hadrian's wall and the foundation of
> London and such. Whereas the Vikings left their imprint indelibly
> buried in the minds of countless generations.

As opposed to the Romans, the Vlkings made a genetically "indelible
imprint" upon Britain and Ireland.

Later, the Norman French (descended from Vikings) caused profound
changes to the English language.

> They were also the first - if not the only - to invent a flat
> keeled boat that was seaworthy, so obviously they had to go
> somewhere to fend off boredom, which then may turn out to be
> the reason for. . .ah - everything?

<edited>

Those ol' Vikes were great seafarers, no doubt. (Probably,
history's first pirates.)

Incidentally, Tony: You write like a Britisher, with very
little evidence you're a "squarehead" in Scandinavia.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> > On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:18:53 -0500, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Tony wrote:

> > <edited for brevity>
> >
> >> Of course - modern Scandinavian derives from Early Icelandic and I
> >> have no idea what those examples would have developed into today.

> > <edited>
> >
> > Huh? I thought that Iceland was founded by Scandinavian settlers,
> > and therefore, >its< language "derives" from >theirs<.

> Yes, but modern Icelandic has evolved less from Old Norse than any of
> the other Scandinavian languages has, and knowing modern Icelandic makes
> more Old Norse readable than knowing any other European language makes
> its "core forebearer" readable (e.g., Modern English -> Old English (pre
> Norman Conquest), Modern German -> Old High German, Modern Italian,
> French, Spanish, etc. -> Latin, etc.). Modern Danish, Swedish, and
> Norwegian all derive from Old Norse, which *is* the earliest form of
> Icelandic, so Tony isn't incorrect.

So, you're saying that Icelandic's evolution took a different path
(i.e., a "retarded" one), from that of the Scandinavian languages?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>