Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hello. . .

Hello. . .

Tony

On May 11, 4:02*pm, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony,
> I am using Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-M with good performance.
> Is yours "-M" at the end of the name?
> I have installed DDR3 memory and a mid priced ATI 5770 graphic card.
> Processor is AM3 type (6-core 1055T).
> Carlos
>
> On May 11, 9:42*am, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

No, Carlos. It is *TD-V Evo - 4GB DDR3 RAM ( I think )

2 core am3 socket ( Cannot remember the type number ) ( wait - it's
one of the old opterons! )
I was running on the internal graphics, HD 4250 now, the good card GF
7900 GSX.

2HDD's SATA3 - this could be a bottleneck but I don't really think
they can be this bad. I am running on the original MB Drivers from the
System CD so perhaps I need an update, but that avenue was closed
until now.

The next project here is that I will try and get as much as possible
here to be connected so it can be updated, and as Gentoo has finally
released a live DVD, I shall get that one up and running too. The
Win2K machine is still alive and well (it refuses to die) but the
connection is a USB Wi-Fi and I have not been able to get data through
from the laptop, nor installed onto the Win2K machine itself. I
managed to ping all from everywhere and they even appeared as nodes on
the local Network on both Win2K and the laptop. But nothing was
passing through. I know Charlie helped me with that one time, but that
was perhaps a little more kosher as I had a cable going to the router,
back then. Now it is all wireless all of the way, and something with
Win2K and/or the router Ovis WL-1000R probably isn't completely
compatible in this day-and-age.

Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
My laptop has a 4250 onboard video and quite complaint about it.
I am not a gamer but it has enough muscle to play 1280x720 videos
without a hitch.
What part of the performance are you unhappy with?
Carlos

On May 11, 12:48*pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 11, 4:02*pm, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Tony,
> > I am using Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-M with good performance.
> > Is yours "-M" at the end of the name?
> > I have installed DDR3 memory and a mid priced ATI 5770 graphic card.
> > Processor is AM3 type (6-core 1055T).
> > Carlos

> > On May 11, 9:42*am, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, Carlos. It is *TD-V Evo - 4GB DDR3 RAM ( I think )
>
> 2 core am3 socket ( Cannot remember the type number ) ( wait - it's
> one of the old opterons! )
> I was running on the internal graphics, HD 4250 now, the good card GF
> 7900 GSX.
>
> 2HDD's SATA3 - this could be a bottleneck but I don't really think
> they can be this bad. I am running on the original MB Drivers from the
> System CD so perhaps I need an update, but that avenue was closed
> until now.
>
> The next project here is that I will try and get as much as possible
> here to be connected so it can be updated, and as Gentoo has finally
> released a live DVD, I shall get that one up and running too. The
> Win2K machine is still alive and well (it refuses to die) but the
> connection is a USB Wi-Fi and I have not been able to get data through
> from the laptop, nor installed onto the Win2K machine itself. I
> managed to ping all from everywhere and they even appeared as nodes on
> the local Network on both Win2K and the laptop. But nothing was
> passing through. I know Charlie helped me with that one time, but that
> was perhaps a little more kosher as I had a cable going to the router,
> back then. Now it is all wireless all of the way, and something with
> Win2K and/or the router Ovis WL-1000R probably isn't completely
> compatible in this day-and-age.
>
> Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
My laptop has a 4250 onboard video and I cannot complaint about it.
I am not a gamer but it has enough muscle to play 1280x720 videos
without a hitch.
What part of the performance are you unhappy with?
Carlos

On May 11, 12:48*pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 11, 4:02*pm, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Tony,
> > I am using Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-M with good performance.
> > Is yours "-M" at the end of the name?
> > I have installed DDR3 memory and a mid priced ATI 5770 graphic card.
> > Processor is AM3 type (6-core 1055T).
> > Carlos

> > On May 11, 9:42*am, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, Carlos. It is *TD-V Evo - 4GB DDR3 RAM ( I think )
>
> 2 core am3 socket ( Cannot remember the type number ) ( wait - it's
> one of the old opterons! )
> I was running on the internal graphics, HD 4250 now, the good card GF
> 7900 GSX.
>
> 2HDD's SATA3 - this could be a bottleneck but I don't really think
> they can be this bad. I am running on the original MB Drivers from the
> System CD so perhaps I need an update, but that avenue was closed
> until now.
>
> The next project here is that I will try and get as much as possible
> here to be connected so it can be updated, and as Gentoo has finally
> released a live DVD, I shall get that one up and running too. The
> Win2K machine is still alive and well (it refuses to die) but the
> connection is a USB Wi-Fi and I have not been able to get data through
> from the laptop, nor installed onto the Win2K machine itself. I
> managed to ping all from everywhere and they even appeared as nodes on
> the local Network on both Win2K and the laptop. But nothing was
> passing through. I know Charlie helped me with that one time, but that
> was perhaps a little more kosher as I had a cable going to the router,
> back then. Now it is all wireless all of the way, and something with
> Win2K and/or the router Ovis WL-1000R probably isn't completely
> compatible in this day-and-age.
>
> Tony. . .

John Turco

Tony wrote:

> Oh-, so this is where you're hiding away? Had guidance from Carlos on
> this matter.
>
> Greetings to all the old 'farts'! I shall be keeping this group under
> close scrutiny from hence forward. In truth, though, having read some
> of this I wonder if I don't feel a bit rusty. How time flies. . .he,
> he.
>
> Tony. . .

I've been here (mostly lurking, sometimes posting), since the summer
of 2008.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Drew

On 5/11/2011 7:10 PM, John Turco wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>>
>> Oh-, so this is where you're hiding away? Had guidance from Carlos on
>> this matter.
>>
>> Greetings to all the old 'farts'! I shall be keeping this group under
>> close scrutiny from hence forward. In truth, though, having read some
>> of this I wonder if I don't feel a bit rusty. How time flies. . .he,
>> he.
>>
>> Tony. . .

> I've been here (mostly lurking, sometimes posting), since the summer
> of 2008.

Lurking beats skulking any day..

Carlos

On May 12, 12:38*am, Drew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 7:10 PM, John Turco wrote:

Drew,
Thanks to you I have learnt a new word in English today: "skulk".
Is it the same as "hide"?
Carlos

> > Tony wrote:

> >> Oh-, so this is where you're hiding away? Had guidance from Carlos on
> >> this matter.

> >> Greetings to all the old 'farts'! I shall be keeping this group under
> >> close scrutiny from hence forward. In truth, though, having read some
> >> of this I wonder if I don't feel a bit rusty. How time flies. . .he,
> >> he.

> >> Tony. . .

> > I've been here (mostly lurking, sometimes posting), since the summer
> > of 2008.

> Lurking beats skulking any day..- Hide quoted text -

Jeff Gaines

On 12/05/2011 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Carlos
wrote:

>Drew,
>Thanks to you I have learnt a new word in English today: "skulk".
>Is it the same as "hide"?
>Carlos

Skulk is a bit more active, e.g. a burglar might skulk in the bushes while
deciding the best way to break into a building

--
Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
(Groucho Marx)

Tony

On May 12, 3:07*pm, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Carlos
> wrote:
>
> >Drew,
> >Thanks to you I have learnt a new word in English today: "skulk".
> >Is it the same as "hide"?
> >Carlos

> Skulk is a bit more active, e.g. a burglar might skulk in the bushes while
> deciding the best way to break into a building
>
> --
> Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
> (Groucho Marx)

It's amazing how many rudiments are left over from Scandinavian
tongues. If a student skips class for a whole day (or days) the word
in Danish is 'skulke' and in Swedish 'skolka', When I saw the usage
here, I instantly recognized it, although not being really familiar
with it. Nice to see it confirmed.

Of course - modern Scandinavian derives from Early Icelandic and I
have no idea what those examples would have developed into today.

I love quotes - the Marxist ones are always among the fav's. Einstein:
"The difference between Geniality and Stupidity is that Geniality has
limits!"

Tony. . .

Jeff Gaines

On 12/05/2011 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Tony
wrote:

>It's amazing how many rudiments are left over from Scandinavian
>tongues. If a student skips class for a whole day (or days) the word
>in Danish is 'skulke' and in Swedish 'skolka', When I saw the usage
>here, I instantly recognized it, although not being really familiar
>with it. Nice to see it confirmed.

Perhaps it's not so surprising when you consider the Vikings used to raid
us with monotonous regularity

--

On May 12, 5:54*pm, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Tony
> wrote:
>
> Perhaps it's not so surprising when you consider the Vikings used to raid
> us with monotonous regularity
>
> --
> Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
> (Groucho Marx)

-------------------------------------

Monotonous. . .indeed! That IS a good one - I cannot stop larfing.

All the same, I do find it interesting how, as the Romans did much the
same thing to you poor bastards, they where the ones who left their
imprint in the landscape. Like Hadrian's wall and the foundation of
London and such. Whereas the Vikings left their imprint indelibly
buried in the minds of countless generations. They were also the
first - if not the only - to invent a flat keeled boat that was
seaworthy, so obviously they had to go somewhere to fend off boredom,
which then may turn out to be the reason for. . .ah - everything?

Thanks Jeff, for the inspiration.

Tony. . .