Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview Crap.

Freeview Crap.

Possible

On Wed, 11 May 2011 23:58:16 +1200, Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:44:47 +1200, "B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>>> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>>>
>>> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

>>I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
>>Recorder
>>as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
>>This one
>>has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
>>get a
>>Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
>>Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
>>Ausie remote?

HELP: I cant see any references how to use the EPG or the Timer when
using both tuners, the only thing is that you to do is manually, not
much point for having 2 tuners if you cant use them both.

Any pages in the manual for this.?

Thanks

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs B Roberts wrote:
> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> B Roberts wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old
>>> Panasonic HDD Recorder
>>> as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1
>>> minute. This one
>>> has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they
>>> would not get a
>>> Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
>>> Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I
>>> purchased an Ausie remote?

>> Nothing to do witht he remote.
>>
>> Just push FF a few times and whizz thru the adds.
>>
>> geoff
>>

> Most adverts go on for 4 minutes at peak times, with my old Panasonic
> all I had to do was skip the programme for 4 minutes, much, much
> easier than fast forwarding

Yep, same with my Panny. Nine times out of ten, if you're ready for it, the
four-minute skip is perfect.

However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
broadcast TV for a couple of years now.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Gordon

On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
> broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I find this
just what all the news is. TV style that is

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
>> broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

> You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
> find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going (after
the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be fair that was
likely down to antenna).

I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:10:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
>> On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
>>> broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

>> You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
>> find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

>Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going (after
>the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be fair that was
>likely down to antenna).
>
>I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
>'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).
>
>Cheers,

Well, terrestial gives the better picture technically, though not
everything is broadcast in HD.

Satellite quality is quite acceptable - to my eyes - and can give you
SBS One & Two from Tasmania, at the moment anyway. I went for
Ultraplus 700HDMI PVR, which as the name suggests provides HDMI (576i)
and supports a usb record capability. HD from Aussie also currently
footprints here - but off course you need an HD recr. Eh .... you also
need a dish.

Happy deliberating!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:10:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:

>>> You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
>>> find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

>> Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going
>> (after the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be
>> fair that was likely down to antenna).
>>
>> I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
>> 'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).
>>
>> Cheers,

> Well, terrestial gives the better picture technically, though not
> everything is broadcast in HD.
>
> Satellite quality is quite acceptable - to my eyes - and can give you
> SBS One & Two from Tasmania, at the moment anyway. I went for
> Ultraplus 700HDMI PVR, which as the name suggests provides HDMI (576i)
> and supports a usb record capability. HD from Aussie also currently
> footprints here - but off course you need an HD recr. Eh .... you also
> need a dish.
>
> Happy deliberating!

Heh! Yeah. On my budget it's easier to just keep putting it off. My antenna
is rubbish and I'm told that getting a dish installed is likely cheaper than
getting a new antenna installed. (The UHF signal is pretty poor here.)

Cheers,