Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview Crap.

Freeview Crap.

Possible

I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds

But the Ozzy model can.

The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
skip button.

And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

Donchano

On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:34:09 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Nym-shifter Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> whinged:
>

>>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
>>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
>>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
>>
>> But the Ozzy model can.
>>
>>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
>>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
>>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
>>skip button.
>>

>>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
>>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

>I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>
>http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

Not surprising considering who he works for.

gregmcc@teranews.com

On 10/05/2011 5:24 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Mutlley<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Possible<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
>>> being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
>>> like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
>>>
>>> But the Ozzy model can.
>>>
>>> The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
>>> but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
>>> 30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
>>> skip button.
>>>

>>> And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
>>> time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

>> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>>
>> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

> They are free to broadcast anything they like, however no one is forced
> to listen. Skipping Ads is no different to going off to make a cuppa, go
> to the loo, or simply change channels.

This is a classic example of what happens when a business makes the
rules, take a look at the TIVO in NZ, no commercial skip (TVNZ's input
on this one here) But as there is the ability to transfer content off
the Tivo to other devices freeview have decided that they won't give it
the tick of approval.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

How can it be ? That would be equivalent to 'making you watch something' ...
obviously not possible.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:34:09 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>>Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>>
>>http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

> Not surprising considering who he works for.

Entitlement mentality FTW!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4dc906fb$(E-Mail Removed)>, B Roberts wrote:

> I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
> Recorder as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments
> of 1 minute. This one has as you suggested, 10 minute increments.
> Panasonic told me they would not get a Freeview licence unless they
> increased it to 10 minutes.

Let me see if I get this straight:

* Buy a licensed Freeview decoding device — OK.
* Connect it to an HDD-DVD video recorder which can fast-forward and skip in
whatever increments I like — OK.

But

* Buy an HDD-DVD video recorder with in-built Freeview decoding, which can
fast-forward and skip in whatever increments I like — NOT OK?

Possible

On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:44:47 +1200, "B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
>>>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
>>>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
>>>
>>> But the Ozzy model can.
>>>
>>>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
>>>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
>>>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
>>>skip button.
>>>

>>>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
>>>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

>> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>>
>> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

>I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
>Recorder
>as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
>This one
>has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
>get a
>Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
>Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
>Ausie remote?

Even the UK models have these buttons but you do not need a Freeview
licence at all its a con, UK and OZ don't have these conditions, all
you need to state that it supports FTA plus this crap about the EPG
guide as MHEG-5 is unlicensed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHEG-5

Plus the limitations of the Twin Tuners that are fitted to the Panasonic
models, one has to set for Full HD, so that the DMR-XW380 only has 36
Hours recoding, about these tuner limitations, I cant find any
references in the manual but many comments about this in the Forums.

But can you record 2 SD channels at the same time..?

Possible

On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:10:23 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <4dc906fb$(E-Mail Removed)>, B Roberts wrote:
>
>> I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
>> Recorder as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments
>> of 1 minute. This one has as you suggested, 10 minute increments.
>> Panasonic told me they would not get a Freeview licence unless they
>> increased it to 10 minutes.

>Let me see if I get this straight:
>
>* Buy a licensed Freeview decoding device OK.
>* Connect it to an HDD-DVD video recorder which can fast-forward and skip in
>whatever increments I like OK.
>
>But
>
>* Buy an HDD-DVD video recorder with in-built Freeview decoding, which can
>fast-forward and skip in whatever increments I like NOT OK?

No the skip feature of 30sec , 1 min and 10 min's intervals totally
removes the video the fast-forwards does not.

Possible

wrote:

>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
>>>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
>>>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
>>>
>>> But the Ozzy model can.
>>>
>>>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
>>>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
>>>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
>>>skip button.
>>>

>>>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
>>>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

>> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
>> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
>>
>> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

>I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
>Recorder
>as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
>This one
>has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
>get a
>Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
>Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
>Ausie remote?

I have been reading that you cant set recordings to stop and start at
the same time, one has to be changed by 1 min, I don't have that problem
on my old DMR-EH67.

The Other thing that I am reading is when using 2 Tuners one must be
Reordered in DR mode, is this correct as I cant find any reference in
the Dnloaded manual.

Is it not possible to record 2 SD channels at the same time, but you can
record 2 in DR mode..

Thanks