Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Zealand Usenet servers

New Zealand Usenet servers

Vaughan Dodd

A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
Vodafone will pay any attention.

So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.

Vaughan.

gregmcc@teranews.com

On 8/05/2011 11:34 a.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
> A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> Vodafone will pay any attention.
>
> So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
>
> If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
> will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
>
> Vaughan.

There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
it, it's not bad, but a little slow

Greg (another victim of vodafone)

Peter

Vaughan Dodd wrote:
> A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> Vodafone will pay any attention.
>
> So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

Currently, Xnet runs a newsgroup server.
They did shut it down for a while, but it is back running now. It is fairly
fast (compared to the free ones I've tried), but seems to have a restricted
number of groups. 111,000 in the list, but seems to be missing some I'd
like.

If you are enquiring with an ISP, be sure to clearly state you are after
newsgroup service. I would even say you'll buy their ISP service on
condition that they include newsgroup servers in the deal. (Not that this
has helped me in the past, but if enough people speak up about this, maybe
the ISPs will respond).

HTH

Peter

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Vaughan Dodd wrote:

> A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> Vodafone will pay any attention.
>
> So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
>
> If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
> will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.

Times have changed.
Get a Usenet server separately from your ISP.

Here are some choices

1) news.individual.net -- Euro 10 per year; no binaries / text only.
see http://news.individual.net/

2) Astraweb - 25GB non-expiring block account for USD 10.
see http://www.news.astraweb.com/

3) APN - USD 2.95 per month
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

Free servers

4) usenet4all.se - requires registration; no binaries / text only.
see http://www.usenet4all.se/

5) aioe - no registration; no binaries / text only.
see http://www.aioe.org/

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Vaughan Dodd

In article <LYkxp.9536$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On 8/05/2011 11:34 a.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
> > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> > Vodafone will pay any attention.
> >
> > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
> >
> > If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
> > will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
> >
> > Vaughan.
> >

> There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
> it, it's not bad, but a little slow
>

> Greg (another victim of vodafone)

Adding this to check out. Have also discovered usenetserver.com, and
although not an NZ service, might meed my needs. terranews.com as
this might be a longer term solution more appropriate for what I do.
Still end up giving Money for Vodafone to administer the data cap
though. Don't udnerstand why they don't subcontract to a usenet
provider ratehr than just pretend that it doesn't matter to their
customers.

victor

On 8/05/2011 2:48 p.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
> In article<LYkxp.9536$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> On 8/05/2011 11:34 a.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
>>> A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
>>> am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
>>> Vodafone will pay any attention.
>>>
>>> So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
>>> reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
>>>
>>> If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
>>> will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
>>>
>>> Vaughan.
>>>

>> There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
>> it, it's not bad, but a little slow
>>

>> Greg (another victim of vodafone)

> Adding this to check out. Have also discovered usenetserver.com, and
> although not an NZ service, might meed my needs. terranews.com as
> this might be a longer term solution more appropriate for what I do.
> Still end up giving Money for Vodafone to administer the data cap
> though. Don't udnerstand why they don't subcontract to a usenet
> provider ratehr than just pretend that it doesn't matter to their
> customers.

Two free options are http://www.eternal-september.org/ and
http://www.aioe.org/

Vaughan Dodd

In article <4dc5e041$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Vaughan Dodd wrote:
> > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> > Vodafone will pay any attention.
> >
> > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

> Currently, Xnet runs a newsgroup server.
> They did shut it down for a while, but it is back running now. It is fairly
> fast (compared to the free ones I've tried), but seems to have a restricted
> number of groups. 111,000 in the list, but seems to be missing some I'd
> like.
>
> If you are enquiring with an ISP, be sure to clearly state you are after
> newsgroup service. I would even say you'll buy their ISP service on
> condition that they include newsgroup servers in the deal. (Not that this
> has helped me in the past, but if enough people speak up about this, maybe
> the ISPs will respond).
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

More promising that I thought, with two recommendations.

Wonder if there is something to be said for the smaller ISP, in that
there is no multinational corporate manipulation of New Zealand
services to meet priorities not directly related to small groups of
New Zealand users.

Thanks.

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony says...

> Vaughan Dodd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
> >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
> >Vodafone will pay any attention.
> >
> >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
> >
> >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
> >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
> >
> >Vaughan.

> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
> how many groups.
> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
> Tony

I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
could get my custom.

I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

Vaughan.

Boots

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd wrote:

> So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
> reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

No.

None of them promote it, and most of the large ISPs have already stopped
providing an NNTP service.

Donchano

On Sun, 8 May 2011 16:10:40 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony says...
>>
>> Vaughan Dodd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
>> >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
>> >Vodafone will pay any attention.
>> >
>> >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
>> >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
>> >
>> >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
>> >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
>> >
>> >Vaughan.

>> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
>> how many groups.
>> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
>> Tony

>I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
>fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
>usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
>long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
>could get my custom.
>
>I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
>wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
>though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

I use individual.net for Usenet text (10 euros per year) and Astraweb
for binaries (USD25 for 180GB). Very pleased with both and I've been
using them since Xtra let us down and APN (now Easynews) became
unreliable. So I've used individual.net and Astraweb for over two
years without any problems.