Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Fair Go stuff up

Re: Fair Go stuff up

Boots

On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:41:11 +1200, geoff wrote:

> Seems that they don't understand the difference between File Sharing,
> and the up/downloading of copyright material.
>
> You think they'd get it right....
>
> geoff

Presumably you mean up/downloading of _copyrightED_ material.

In fact every created work not in the public domain is copyrighted. The
question is whether or not it is licensed in terms (such as the GPL) that
permit sharing.

Geopelia

"Boots" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:41:11 +1200, geoff wrote:
>
>> Seems that they don't understand the difference between File Sharing,
>> and the up/downloading of copyright material.
>>
>> You think they'd get it right....
>>
>> geoff

> Presumably you mean up/downloading of _copyrightED_ material.
>
> In fact every created work not in the public domain is copyrighted. The
> question is whether or not it is licensed in terms (such as the GPL) that
> permit sharing.

How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
so?
What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on "Favourites".
Is that allowed?

Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <iq626f$3tp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
> so?

Copyright is supposed to apply to things “fixed in a tangible form”
(whatever that means legally). Any such things are automatically
copyrighted, no need to put any copyright notice on them.

Copyright is also only supposed to apply to expressions of ideas, not to
ideas themselves. But court decisions regularly stretch that distinction to
breaking point.

> What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on
> "Favourites". Is that allowed?

They should be. But sometimes lawyers will come down on you for bogus reasons
<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110403/21415213752/greek-site-that-links-to-legal-videos-rightsholders-sued-infringement.shtml>.

> Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

Yes <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071119/015956.shtml>.

J.Wilson

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:iq626f$3tp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Boots" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:41:11 +1200, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Seems that they don't understand the difference between File Sharing,
>>> and the up/downloading of copyright material.
>>>
>>> You think they'd get it right....
>>>
>>> geoff

>> Presumably you mean up/downloading of _copyrightED_ material.
>>
>> In fact every created work not in the public domain is copyrighted. The
>> question is whether or not it is licensed in terms (such as the GPL) that
>> permit sharing.
>>

> How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say so?
> What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on "Favourites". Is that
> allowed?
>
> Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

Unlax, if a friend bought a book and lent it to you to read would you expect
to pay a fee to the publisher/author or your friend to be sued? If you are
able to watch or listen to anything at all on the web do so with a clear
conscience.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4dc71b47$(E-Mail Removed)>, J.Wilson wrote:

> ... if a friend bought a book and lent it to you to read would you
> expect to pay a fee to the publisher/author or your friend to be sued?

Paper book or e-book?

Geopelia

news:iq686c$5ct$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <iq626f$3tp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
>> so?

> Copyright is supposed to apply to things "fixed in a tangible form"
> (whatever that means legally). Any such things are automatically
> copyrighted, no need to put any copyright notice on them.
>
> Copyright is also only supposed to apply to expressions of ideas, not to
> ideas themselves. But court decisions regularly stretch that distinction
> breaking point.
>
>> What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on
>> "Favourites". Is that allowed?

> They should be. But sometimes lawyers will come down on you for bogus
> reasons
> <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110403/21415213752/greek-site-that-links-to-legal-videos-rightsholders-sued-infringement.shtml>.

Crazy. The Greeks will be claiming copyright for Pythagoras and Euclid next.

>> Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

> Yes <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071119/015956.shtml>.

Thank you.
Those are good websites. The whole thing seems very confusing.

Why don't they just keep the law to films, records etc for commercial sale?

J.Wilson

news:iq7g5h$s6p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <4dc71b47$(E-Mail Removed)>, J.Wilson wrote:
>
>> ... if a friend bought a book and lent it to you to read would you
>> expect to pay a fee to the publisher/author or your friend to be sued?

> Paper book or e-book?

e-books can be encrypted but apart from that read or not read I
would'nt make the distinction. We can only be cavalier about the
whole sorry mess of patent and copyright law. It is up to the owners
whether or not they put it out there.

Geopelia

news:iq686c$5ct$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <iq626f$3tp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
>> so?

> Copyright is supposed to apply to things "fixed in a tangible form"
> (whatever that means legally). Any such things are automatically
> copyrighted, no need to put any copyright notice on them.
>
> Copyright is also only supposed to apply to expressions of ideas, not to
> ideas themselves. But court decisions regularly stretch that distinction
> breaking point.
>
>> What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on
>> "Favourites". Is that allowed?

> They should be. But sometimes lawyers will come down on you for bogus
> reasons
> <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110403/21415213752/greek-site-that-links-to-legal-videos-rightsholders-sued-infringement.shtml>.

Crazy. The Greeks will be claiming copyright for Pythagoras and Euclid next.

>> Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

> Yes <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071119/015956.shtml>.

Thank you.
Those are good websites. The whole thing seems very confusing.

Why don't they just keep the law to films, records etc for commercial sale?

Geopelia

news:iq686c$5ct$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <iq626f$3tp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
>> so?

> Copyright is supposed to apply to things "fixed in a tangible form"
> (whatever that means legally). Any such things are automatically
> copyrighted, no need to put any copyright notice on them.
>
> Copyright is also only supposed to apply to expressions of ideas, not to
> ideas themselves. But court decisions regularly stretch that distinction
> breaking point.
>
>> What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on
>> "Favourites". Is that allowed?

> They should be. But sometimes lawyers will come down on you for bogus
> reasons
> <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110403/21415213752/greek-site-that-links-to-legal-videos-rightsholders-sued-infringement.shtml>.

Crazy. The Greeks will be claiming copyright for Pythagoras and Euclid next.

>> Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

> Yes <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071119/015956.shtml>.

Thank you.
Those are good websites. The whole thing seems very confusing.

Why don't they just keep the law to films, records etc for commercial sale?

Possible

On Mon, 9 May 2011 00:26:46 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Boots" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:41:11 +1200, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Seems that they don't understand the difference between File Sharing,
>>> and the up/downloading of copyright material.
>>>
>>> You think they'd get it right....
>>>
>>> geoff

>> Presumably you mean up/downloading of _copyrightED_ material.
>>
>> In fact every created work not in the public domain is copyrighted. The
>> question is whether or not it is licensed in terms (such as the GPL) that
>> permit sharing.
>>

>How do you know whether something is copyright if it doesn't actually say
>so?
>What about all the sites on Google? I've put a lot of sites on "Favourites".
>Is that allowed?
>
>Is it possible to accidentally copy something copyright and not know it?

Don't worry just done use P2P/Torrent.

I don't thing any thing else is monitored

fair-queue'ing ESM Cisco 1 03-08-2006 04:00 PM
fair-queue and MLPPP interfaces Bill F Cisco 1 03-04-2005 05:46 PM
Fair-Queing causes interface resets Douw Gerber Cisco 2 11-12-2003 03:03 PM
Weighted Fair-Queuing Martin Bilgrav Cisco 8 11-03-2003 09:08 PM
Are Freserve Fair Or Foul CapStick Computer Support 4 08-10-2003 02:17 AM

Advertisments