Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Quick video question

Quick video question

policetac policetac is offline
Junior Member

SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER THIS. I'M AFRAID MY SYSTEM IS GOING TO FAIL!!

CHANGES SINCE POST
Answered own question. Went to change setting in BIOS, setting was already at max at 8.
However, I noticed that the setting for onboard or PCI was set to PCI. CHANGED it to onboard. (That's what I have.)
Ramped all of the settings back up, still does it. Just not as often.

System was fine then,
Went from XP, to 7, then back to XP.
Good install, but monitor would flicker. (Green on, checked cables, etc. Conclusion: "Driver Problem")
Set SOME display property's low, reinstalled drivers, same problem.
Set "Video Acceleration" to almost none, and checked "Enable Write Combining,"
Reduced resolution to 800X600, reduced from 32 bit to 16 bit.
DPI is 96, 60 Htz, High Color
Flickering of monitor has pretty much quit. Only very occasionally as I write this.
Here's the rest of the info I think is needed. (Followed by the rest of my question.)

HP514x (Intel x86)
2.0 Ghz
503 Mb "Physical Memory"
Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2
DirectX 9
Video Driver: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Version: 6.14.10.434
Memory Size: 64 Mg Internal

Ok, as I was restarting one of the times. I went into the BIOS to see what I could see.
The one thing that caught my eye was a video setting that allowed for me to increase or decrease Megabytes. It's currently at 8.
Does the "64" MGb "Memory Size" above mean I can set this up to 64? What is this for? I thought it was so you could use more RAM if you were to upgrade your video card.
Could someone please just give me a crash course in graphics cards and their settings?
Thank you.
Sincerely,
policetac

Last edited by policetac; 05-05-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Quick question, hopefully quick answer. ~misfit~ NZ Computing 114 01-06-2005 01:36 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM

Advertisments