Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Mixed declarations and "code"

Mixed declarations and "code"

Keith Thompson

s5n <(E-Mail Removed)> raised this point in comp.lang.c.moderated.

The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
and directives.

Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
declarations and statements".

Nokia

Ben Pfaff

> The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
> mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
> and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
> and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
> generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
> and directives.
>
> Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
> declarations and statements".

I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
C99.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Keith Thompson

Ben Pfaff <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
>> mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
>> and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
>> and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
>> generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
>> and directives.
>>
>> Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
>> declarations and statements".

> I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
> C99.

And I posted in the wrong newsgroup; I meant that to go to comp.std.c.

But presumably the next C standard will still include the list of major
changes from C90 to C99, in addition to a new list of changes from C99
to C201X. My suggestion (which I'll now re-post to the right place) is
to update that section in the next C standard.

Nokia

Uno

On 5/5/2011 11:25 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Ben Pfaff<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Keith Thompson<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
>>> mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
>>> and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
>>> and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
>>> generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
>>> and directives.
>>>
>>> Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
>>> declarations and statements".

>> I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
>> C99.

> And I posted in the wrong newsgroup; I meant that to go to comp.std.c.
>
> But presumably the next C standard will still include the list of major
> changes from C90 to C99, in addition to a new list of changes from C99
> to C201X. My suggestion (which I'll now re-post to the right place) is
> to update that section in the next C standard.

I compile a lot of "source," and I don't refer to it as "source code"
ever, as that is less descriptive than the former.

Statements comprise the business end of the source.
--
Uno