Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Win 7 drivers for HP printers

Re: Win 7 drivers for HP printers

Dominic Payer

The 3550n is not supported in Windows 7. See
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c02535920.

If you want to keep it running - a newer printer would be better -
install an earlier version of Windows in a virtual machine which
supports parallel ports.

XP Mode will not work (unless you can get a USB to parallel port adapter
working - many will not) because Windows Virtual PC does not support
parallel ports.

On 05/05/2011 03:12, Bill Stanton wrote:
> Has anyone come across a source for
> "Generic IEEE 1284.4 Printing Support"?
>
> In migrating to Win 7 Pro Sp1, I'm needing
> to install a HP LaserJet 3550n.
>
> I've not had any luck with HP support, at least in my searches.
>
> Bill

VanguardLH

Dominic Payer wrote:

> Bill Stanton wrote:
>
>> In migrating to Win 7 Pro Sp1, I'm needing to install a HP LaserJet
>> 3550n.

> XP Mode will not work (unless you can get a USB to parallel port
> adapter working - many will not) because Windows Virtual PC does not
> support parallel ports.

The "n" model for 3550 includes JetDirect print server (i.e., a network
printer). Presumably the extra money was paid for the N model so the
printer could be network accessible. Since the virtual machine supports
networking, this networked printer should be accessible.

HP Color LaserJet 3550 Getting Started Guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00224991.pdf

HP Color LaserJet 3550 Overview (specifications included):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01371765

The 3550 (and N model by extension) have USB support. In fact, this
printer does NOT have a parallel port according to its manual. USB and
network are its connection interfaces, no parallel.

USB isn't supported in Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007. I don't know if the
XP Mode variant of it supports USB. From a couple forum posts, XP Mode
appears to have USB support except that devices have to be manually
attached. You could use a different VMM, like VMWare Server (free) or
VirtualBox for automatic attachment of USB devices.

Charlie Russel-MVP

FWIW, if USB becomes an issue, add USB over Ethernet (www.kernelpro.com) and
do it that way. Frankly, I've found it far more reliable than the USB
support available in Windows 7 Virtual PC.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...