Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Allowing Client to Upload Multiple Files

Allowing Client to Upload Multiple Files

Peter Lauren

I am building a web site and my server PCs are running Windows XP. I
would like the client to be able to upload multiple files. I have
considered the following.

1/ The following code from http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_select.asp.

<form action="upload_file.php" method="post"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
<label for="file">Filename:</label>
<input type="file" name="file" id="file" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

The user would only be able to use one file at a time.

2/ A modification of 1 where the user uploads a zip file, containing
all the files to upload. The approach then would be to unzip the
files server-side. One approach suggest for this was PHP Zip
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ref_zip.asp . This link says to
download and install zziplib. I have never had any luck with zlib but
I thought I would try this. Bunch of error messages. Had to change
the .c suffices to .cpp and also find and download a bunch of .h
files. Even then I got a bunch of error messages when I tried to
compile.

3/ Unzipping the uploaded zip file server-side using pkzip.exe.
Should that work?

4/ Using ftp. Should that work? How would I implement it?

5/ Using Flash or Starlight. Are these free? Can they be used
server-
side?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback,
Peter.

Erwin Moller

On 5/3/2011 9:42 PM, Peter Lauren wrote:
> I am building a web site and my server PCs are running Windows XP. I
> would like the client to be able to upload multiple files. I have
> considered the following.
>
> 1/ The following code from http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_select.asp.
>
> <form action="upload_file.php" method="post"
> enctype="multipart/form-data">
> <label for="file">Filename:</label>
> <input type="file" name="file" id="file" />
> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
> </form>
>
> The user would only be able to use one file at a time.
>
> 2/ A modification of 1 where the user uploads a zip file, containing
> all the files to upload. The approach then would be to unzip the
> files server-side. One approach suggest for this was PHP Zip
> http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ref_zip.asp . This link says to
> download and install zziplib. I have never had any luck with zlib but
> I thought I would try this. Bunch of error messages. Had to change
> the .c suffices to .cpp and also find and download a bunch of .h
> files. Even then I got a bunch of error messages when I tried to
> compile.
>
> 3/ Unzipping the uploaded zip file server-side using pkzip.exe.
> Should that work?
>
> 4/ Using ftp. Should that work? How would I implement it?
>
> 5/ Using Flash or Starlight. Are these free? Can they be used
> server-
> side?

6/ Create multiple file elements in your form. Check serverside which
ones were used (via $_FILES).
Read more here:
http://nl.php.net/manual/en/features...d.multiple.php

That way you can offer more files.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

Jukka K. Korpela

3.5.2011 22:42, Peter Lauren wrote:

> I am building a web site

You multiposted your question. Multiposting is bad. Don't do multipost.

(I posted my answer to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Peter Lauren

On May 4, 4:38*am, Erwin Moller
<Since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_m...@spam yourself.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 9:42 PM, Peter Lauren wrote:
>

> > I am building a web site and my server PCs are running Windows XP. *I
> > would like the client to be able to upload multiple files. *I have
> > considered the following.

> > 1/ The following code fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_select.asp.

> > <form action="upload_file.php" method="post"
> > enctype="multipart/form-data">
> > <label for="file">Filename:</label>
> > <input type="file" name="file" id="file" />
> > <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
> > </form>

> > The user would only be able to use one file at a time.

> > 2/ A modification of 1 where the user uploads a zip file, containing
> > all the files to upload. *The approach then would be to unzip the
> > files server-side. *One approach suggest for this was PHP Zip
> >http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ref_zip.asp. *This link says to
> > download and install zziplib. *I have never had any luck with zlib but
> > I thought I would try this. *Bunch of error messages. *Had to change
> > the .c suffices to .cpp and also find and download a bunch of .h
> > files. *Even then I got a bunch of error messages when I tried to
> > compile.

> > 3/ Unzipping the uploaded zip file server-side using pkzip.exe.
> > Should that work?

> > 4/ Using ftp. *Should that work? *How would I implement it?

> > 5/ Using Flash or Starlight. *Are these free? *Can they be used
> > server-
> > side?

> 6/ Create multiple file elements in your form. Check serverside which
> ones were used (via $_FILES).
> Read more here:http://nl.php.net/manual/en/features...d.multiple.php
>
> That way you can offer more files.
>
> Regards,
> Erwin Moller
>

> > Many thanks in advance for any feedback,
> > Peter.

> --
> "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
> evidence."
> -- Christopher Hitchens

Hi Erwin,

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried all of the examples at that
link. My main problem is that the number of file elements is a
variable and typically on the order of 40-60 although it can be any
number. Hard coding a fixed number of elements would not work. Is
there a way to make the number of file elements a variable?

Thanks again,
Peter.

On May 5, 4:36*pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 3.5.2011 22:42, Peter Lauren wrote:
>
> > I am building a web site

> You multiposted your question. Multiposting is bad. Don't do multipost.
>
> (I posted my answer to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc.)
>
> --
> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

I usually don't dignify such remarks with a comment. People cross
post all the time. If you don't like the way people post then start
your own moderated ng.

Jukka K. Korpela

6.5.2011 17:41, Peter Lauren wrote:

> On May 5, 4:36 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 3.5.2011 22:42, Peter Lauren wrote:
>>
>>> I am building a web site

>> You multiposted your question. Multiposting is bad. Don't do multipost.
>>
>> (I posted my answer to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc.)
>>
>> --
>> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

> I usually don't dignify such remarks with a comment. People cross
> post all the time. If you don't like the way people post then start
> your own moderated ng.

Thank you for making it clear that you do not even try to communicate
constructively. If you don't like the way Usenet works, please start
your own world.

Mostly just novices and fools crosspost, and the same applies even
stronger to multiposting (I don't expect you to know the difference).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jonathan N. Little

Peter Lauren wrote:
> On May 5, 4:36 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 3.5.2011 22:42, Peter Lauren wrote:
>>
>>> I am building a web site

>> You multiposted your question. Multiposting is bad. Don't do multipost.
>>
>> (I posted my answer to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc.)
>>
>> --
>> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

> I usually don't dignify such remarks with a comment. People cross
> post all the time. If you don't like the way people post then start
> your own moderated ng.

Oops did you step into it. Firstly multipost != crosspost.

You *did* mulitposted which is always bad. That is posting the same
message in different newsgroups as *separate* posts.

Crossposting on the other hand is *sometimes* acceptable when the topic
applies to more than one group. A crossposted message is only *one*
message sent as a *single* post but to more than one group at the same
time, this is accomplished with more than one group listed in the "To:"
field.

--
Take care,

Jonathan