Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition

AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Bjorn3D are impressed with the AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition as an upgrade, but would suggest waiting for the next gen AMD CPU for a new system:

Quote:
We thought we saw the last of the K10 based processors from AMD with the release of the Phenom X6 1100T BE and the Phenom X4 970 BE, but we were wrong. While we probably will not see any new six-core Phemoms until Bulldozer arrives, AMD has bumped up the fastest quad core by 100MHz and put out the Phenom X4 980 BE. The Phenom X4 980 BE runs at 3.7 GHz and costs $197, and will replace the current flagship quad core Phenom II X4 970 BE. Besides the 100MHz speed bump, there are no other changes to the processor. The processor still fits the 125W TDP, with 6MB L3 and 2MB total L2. It is still based on the Deneb core so users will not get TurboCore support like the six-core Thuban based processor.
Read the rest here.